338 Edge Savage build questions

ATH

Since I learned about the 338 Edge here, I felt this was the appropriate place to ask a few questions. After posting probably 15 replies here relating the 300WM as my personal recoil limit and my distaste for brakes, I find myself lamenting the fact that a big 338 is the last hole in my rifle repertoire.

I've reviewed the various 338 options. A LM is out because I will not do a custom so the big bolt face is a no-go. It came down to Edge or RUM, and right now I'm thinking Edge unless I just can't make it work in a Savage 110 action.

1) I'd go a Savage prefit in Edge, 30" barrel.
2) Brass. Is the Norma or Nosler acceptable? Norma is most commonly in stock...if I have no decent brass any RUM-based option is DOA.
3) I'd prefer a repeater. I've read years old threads that Seekins offered mags long enough to seat 300gr bullets with the Edge, but I don't see them on their site. Are these available or will I be limited to single shot? It appears clear that AI mags wouldn't work. I'd need to go to a Wyatt's box in a hinged floorplate, and that may limit me to Remage on a R700 action (more research required), and I'd rather not blueprint or go custom action. I've had really good luck getting accuracy from Savage prefits.

The 33 Nosler would work with that action also. I think it's the same case as the other recently introduced cartridges.

I have one built on a savage 112 single shot and it shoots great.I've shot a 5" group at 1250 yards with mine.It has a 1 in 9 twist mcgowen that is 32" plus the brake.I shoot Berger OTM with H1000 and Remington cases.

Here's a pic of it if it up loads

Attachments

• 1117151749-1.jpg
    1117151749-1.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 150
Built a .338 Edge out of a Savage 110 in 7mm Mag. Used a 30" Mcgowen prefit barrel plus a brake and it shot great with 300g Bergers. Used it to kill a bear at 1208 yards. I never bothered trying to figure out if or how I could make it a repeater. I just learned to lay out a couple extra bullets ahead of time and single feed rapidly if need be (which I never needed to).

The 33 Nosler would work with that action also. I think it's the same case as the other recently introduced cartridges.

That is a very reasonable suggestion. I've resisted the need for anything bigger than my 300WM and needing a brake for many years, If I'm going to do it, I figure I should go big and the Edge is that, and more than the 33 Nosler from what I can read.

More problematic, I don't see the 33 Nosler listed anywhere as a chamber available in a profit. In addition to the cost I simply enjoy the process and pride in building my own rifles.

Here's a pic of it if it up loads

Nice buck, nice gun; similar to what I am considering but I'm going to stop at a 30" barrel. Can I ask what contour you went with? McGowen has a 30" barrel listed in stock right now but it is a Douglas #9 and it looks like the barrel alone is just shy of 10lbs…I know it will be a heavy gun but I'd like to stay a bit lighter than that.

What does your rifle weigh?

Built a .338 Edge out of a Savage 110 in 7mm Mag. Used a 30" Mcgowen prefit barrel plus a brake and it shot great with 300g Bergers. Used it to kill a bear at 1208 yards. I never bothered trying to figure out if or how I could make it a repeater. I just learned to lay out a couple extra bullets ahead of time and single feed rapidly if need be (which I never needed to).

Similarly, what contour did you go with and what is the approximate gun weight? I'm glad to hear good commits on the Mcgowen barrels, that's one of my leading choices right now.

I can't comment too much on the Savage as I only have one in 223 that shoots very well and what I can go by from the specs. Since the 110 comes in 338LM there better be no problem with a 338 Edge. Except of course the long cartridge issue. There are things that can be done for long cartridges or just live with shingle load.

I can speak about the Edge and Nosler options.

I have both. 338 Edge built in a German Wby Mark V. Just like a TRR except in Edge. 338/26-Nosler built on a, you guessed it, Mark V. Rechambered 338WM.

I love them both for different reasons.

It boils down to distance and bullet. If you are going to try to take game at 800+, if it were me, Edge. If you are going to target shoot past 1,000 yards. Edge.

If you are going to keep you game hunting to sub 800yards and target to not to far past 1000. The 33-Nosler or 338/26-Nosler is much less recoil. Only a little more than a 300 Weatherby. It can launch up to 250 grainers with authority.

Or

Get used to the brake and hearing protection while hunting.

Similarly, what contour did you go with and what is the approximate gun weight? I'm glad to hear good commits on the Mcgowen barrels, that's one of my leading choices right now.

I don't specifically remember as I bought it off this site and didn't really spec it out myself, but looking at the McGowen site, I would assume it was a 'medium target' contour. I no longer own the gun (retrospectively not a good decision to sell it - dangit!!) but I recall the total scoped weight being just less than 15lbs.

It's straight contour savage target.The Choate stock is pretty heavy too and with the nightforce it's 17# or so.

Thanks for the comments, guys. I waffle between keeping the cost down and going with the Savage and playing with it to get it functional, or ponying up for a Stiller TAC action and a Wyatt box and just being done with it. It appears Seekins no longer makes the DBM that works with the Edge. I'd be perfectly happy with a hinged floor plate anyways.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.