338 (norma) build question

Guys, you have some gorgeous rifles out there. This is definitely whetting my appetite. It also appears uniform across all posters that a muzzle brake is very much needed. What do you think about using a suppressor instead?
Supressors offer 30% the recoil reduction of a good brake. That's okay on 6.5mm and smaller 7mm. But when going to big 30cal and 338, especially in a lighter weight rig, you need a brake to have any hopes of spotting your impacts.

Any reason for not considering the 338 RUM?

It doesn't have any edge in performance with the Lapua or Norma, but at it does operate on a standard magnum bolt face and has factory ammo options available.

For 24" barrel, it's probably a wash between the Norma and Lapua.

And PS: I second the notion for a good brake. My 338 RUM with 285s is tolerable with my brake, not sure I'd want to fire it without a brake and in a rifle weighing a few pounds less!

View attachment 195004
Sweet iron

Guys, you have some gorgeous rifles out there. This is definitely whetting my appetite. It also appears uniform across all posters that a muzzle brake is very much needed. What do you think about using a suppressor instead?
Depends on the gun, if you build a 15+lb .338, then I think it would be manageable, you may even spot hits. But with these 9lb ready to hunt rigs....little bit different story.

Would you be willing to post your pet loads with grouping and velocities for your 338 rifles?
thank you!
This is the thread to find that....

Should be able to get some good useful data there.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.