Non magnum primer with a 7 PRC

mdruyle

I understand the recommendation is to use a LR Magnum primer in the 7 PRC. I've also read posts in a few forums of guys using regular large rifle primers in magnum cartridges with no issues. I have about 4,000 large rifle primers and 150 magnums. I guess I could be patient and find some LRM's but I'm better at not being patient. So, I wanted to see if anyone is loading 7 PRC with large rifle primers and what your results were. Any weird velocities or inconsistencies? Sorry if this is being discussed already.

I'll be using H1000 powder (around 63-66 grains?) 175 Eldx and possibly BR2 primers.
Thanks!

The 7 Rem Mag and the 7 PRC have almost identical case capacities. I shoot the 7 RM with 140 and 150 Nosler BT with IMR 4350 using std Rem 9 1/2 primers.

I have been an accuracy freek for a long time, and the hobby is humbling. You never know which primer will shoot the tightest group without trying, when looking to achieve sub 3/8" groups with hunting rifles.

I understand the recommendation is to use a LR Magnum primer in the 7 PRC. I've also read posts in a few forums of guys using regular large rifle primers in magnum cartridges with no issues. I have about 4,000 large rifle primers and 150 magnums. I guess I could be patient and find some LRM's but I'm better at not being patient. So, I wanted to see if anyone is loading 7 PRC with large rifle primers and what your results were. Any weird velocities or inconsistencies? Sorry if this is being discussed already.

I'll be using H1000 powder (around 63-66 grains?) 175 Eldx and possibly BR2 primers.
Thanks!
Yes as others mentioned they work fine.

I've had great success with CCI200's in the STW, 300 WIN, 300WSM and many others, Mag cases with ball powder is where I found the limit of LR Primers
So what was the limit you found??
I am testing Winchester WMR in my STW and it's a ball powder, the other one is 7828

Recent Posts