No. of Lands and Polygonal barrels?

Kobra

In my continuing long range education I stumbled onto Pac-Nor barrels website. First I noted the vast number of wildcats and secondly I note the vast array of twist rates/land combinations.

How do you select a non-norm land number? In some calibers, with available twist and land combos you would be looking at 5 to +15 choices. Is it all just trial and error or is there some formula? I realize as bullet weight/length goes up you generally want twist rate to speed up but how do you determine no. of lands? Preference?

Then there was even polygonal choices. From what I have read, polygonals namely Mike Rock barrels, are unbelievable shooters but I don't notice anyone on here really speaking of them.

Thanks for the comments.

Dave King has a Tac-Ord built 338 Rum with a Pac Nor poly barrel. Look in the for sale section to get an idea as to how it shoots. I'm sold on it!

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.