Pac-Nor Polygonal Barrels

StevenD

I see polygonal barrels listed at Pac-Nor in smaller calibers.

I have a couple of questions here that I intend to direct to Pac-Nor, but would like a second opinion first (if that makes any sense).

First - Are there any distinct advantages to this system, regarding either velocities/pressures or accuracy?

Second - I was thinking this was a hammer forged process. Is that still the case, or have they perfected a button pull process?

Thanks..

You could ask PacNor to define what a polygon actually is..
What are the differences between theirs, H&K's & glock's & Schneider's..?

I don't know if they make 'polygon' or simply 'rounded lands'. But I'd be amazed if PacNor knew much about it.
I think they'll tell you what they think you wanna here.

I haven't heard one good thing about Pac-Nor's Polyognal barrels. I think that they are button rifled and in order to do this the steel has to be soft and from the reports I've heard they are indeed soft.

The benifit to the Poly rifled barrels is that their are only flat side to "grab" the bullet and no lands and groove to wear down over time. I have only ever shot one gun with a poly barrel and that is H&K's PSG-1 and it shot great with a reported 5000+ rounds through it the owner said it has not had any accuracy changes that gun has only been fed Federal Premium Match ammo in 308. I even offered to clean it to see how that was and it cleaned out great. That weapon is a very nice shooting system and I'm sure that the p[oly barrel ads to that , but I still would never pay $9000 for the rig!!

If I wee gonna give the poly barrels a try I would definatly go with a Schnieder as they are the only ones I've heard any positive things about

Thanks Mister(s) Mike and Jones.

As I understand it Schneider was the barrel that David Tubbs used as well for some time in the 80's or thereabouts.

I will have to see if they make what I want. Not sure they offered that barrel in anything under a 6mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.