Polygonal Question, and a lot of them

RuffHewn

Would you all explain polygonal rifling to me? What does a cross section of the bore look like? Are all the sharp angles eliminated at the edges of the lands and the juntion of the lands and grooves? Or is it a geometry shape like a pentagon, hexagon, or....?

How does a polygonal barrel compare to a Mike Rock 5R in performance? When it is time for me to rebarrel should I go with a Pac Nor instead of another Mike Rock? Do polygonal barrels generally do well with Barnes X bullets?

Please have patience with this FNG. Thanks for any help and sorry to take up so much of everyone's time.

Ruff, I know one thing, well maybe a couple, these barrels foul less and you don't need to seat the bullets so close to the lands, and they last longer, read a test on the H&K PSG-1, they had like 10,000 rounds through the barrel and it was still going strong, I couldn't believe the accuracy they were getting from this AUTO with the polygonel barrel, and if it's good enough for Dave Tubb, it's good enough for me, my next barrels' going to be a Schnieder poly.
wink.gif
Jay.

RuffHewn

There are a few folks around the net that know a good deal about polygonal rifling, sometimes they show up. One such individual is associated with some two name barrel maker from Europe....it's coming to me......****, maybe in a bit! Jim Ryan a Tactical Ordinance in Meridian Idaho (208) 288-1450, make sure you ask him about Male vs Female polygonal--- I can't remember which is which.... I know! sticks out OR sticks in but there's more to it. Warren Jensen is up on this type of rifling too I believe, he recognized my type (male or female whichever it was) from an fired projectile I sent him.

(Still can't recall that barrel makers name.....my mind's a little cluttered but it's in here somewhere.....no, theme song from Flipper Flipper..Flipper.. faster than lightning.... Nope, Rebecca Issacson... 2nd grade at Black School, red hair, body of a 3rd grader.....Cooper Peedy, Opal mine in Australia..... where do these things come from??? Not Black Starr, Not Roger Whittaker, not Samual Clemens, not John Merrick.... got it Lothar Walther offers polygonal barrels too... sharp as a tack so there!

Jim Ryan would be a good call if you're going with a Pac-Nor.

[ 06-08-2003: Message edited by: Dave King ]

Lothar Walther does make a fine Poly barrel.
They do tell me that the barrels are really designed for accurate high rate of fire firearms like ARs and such.
They also say they will last a very, very long time, even longer than one of the standard LW-50 barrels which last a very long time, however, accuracy with the poly barrels can be expected to be slightly less than with their conventio0nal rifled barrels.

I have not used one yet, but will in the near future when refitting a LE agencies M-4 with one.
Slightly less could mean that instead of one little hole for groups, it may just be one bigger hole, but I cannot say for sure yet.

I will give a report in about 3 months on the M-4's accuracy when we do the job.

Celt

NightHawk

I believe I mentioned Pac Nor...not directly though so thanks...

I have and have had many Pac Nor polygonal barrels...they work very well.

Dave I think I remember you mentioning Pac Nor, but it was late so I'm not sure. They said they don't do Titanium Nitride finish, do you know who would? It isn't important, but I would like to protect my barrel without the shine of bare stainless steel. What are you doing up so early anyway?
grin.gif

My stainless barrels have a dull finish... Tac-Ord uses a finish called PolyKote (I believe that's the correct name)... As I understand it, they first Parkerize then PolyKote.
http://www.tac-ord.com/services-refinishing.htm

George Gardner at G-A Precision uses teflon...I have some stainless barrels with teflon also.
http://www.gaprecision.net/content/products.php

I have worn both types of these finishes off, I'm a little hard on rifles. I'd say the PolyKote is and remains more dull, the teflon seems more durable for bangs and scratches but is a little "shiney" when worn or buffed by constant abrasion.

I get up at 0515 each workday...need to be at work by 0630. If I wait too long the traffic get bad and makes things fairly counterproductive (Washington D.C. area traffic).

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.