nikon scope question

Chrisvierling

I just bought a Remington 700sps in .308win. I have been looking at the Nikon prostaff 4-12 by 40 with the BDC reticle. Will this scope get me out to say 400 or so yds and will it hold zero with the .308 recoil? I plan on putting a decent scope on it in the future but since I'm 16 I'm not exactly raking in the dough. I just want to know if this scope will be good enough for now at mid ranges?

I have a few Nikon scopes, and they all have held up good. One is on a 12 gauge slug gun, and it kicks hard. The scope has held and is on at 100 yards all the time. I don't push the slug gun past that if I don't have too.

I have another on a 30 06, and that is holding nicely too. This is a ProStaff 3-9, and I have been happy with it.

I also have a Monarch on my 7mm STW, and this is very stable. I would recomend the Monarch line if you can afford it. It points and tracks well. It is always at the same point on impact when I check it. This is a 4-16 with side focus.

As for getting to 400 yards, I would say yes. The BDC will get you out far if you hold it right. This scope should also take the recoil of the 308.

No need to worry, Nikon's PROSTAFF 4-12 BDC reticle scope will not have any trouble with your .308 rifle. Make sure you go to Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program to dial in your rifle,scope and ammo to get the greatest possible accuracy. I think you will be quite pleased with how easy hits on target at 400 yards can be with a little practice. I have been using Nikon's BDC reticle scope's for hunting for over 10 years now. Doing freelance PR work for Nikon has allowed me to use almost every BDC scope Nikon makes and I promise you, Spot On is the ticket for BDC scope.

If you're interested in saving some $ I believe there is a Nikon sponosored promotion going on just for BDC reticle scopes right now. Check out some of LRH's sponsors and see if they can help you out.

Thank you for the info that really helps me out! also If I dial in moa how far do you think I could reach out with this scope?

Using a Winchester 150 gr BST at 2820 fps the PROSTAFF 4-12 will get you to around 800 yards. The scope has 60 MOA of internal adjustment, 30 up and 30 down, if you added a 20 MOA base you could reach 1000 yards but that is a serious poke. I have shot to 750 yards with a 4-16 that had a 20 MOA base and I was happy for all the magnification I could get. Spot On will give you the number of clicks to dial in your distance with whatever ammo you choose, even handloads.
The BDC PROMO goes until 11/16/14. I have the PROSTAFF 4-12 BDC on my
Father In-Law's T/C .308.

+ 1 on the spot on ballistics program! I have the 4x12x40 mil dot also and am happy with it. I can hit steal as far as 500 yds. by either dialing or using the mil dots, haven't done a tracking test because the elevation has always come back to zero. Look on camera land in the demo section, and optics planet as well.... good luck E

Hey what do you think of the mil dot? I like the bdc because it gets me just about dead on out to 400 yds but the circles seem pretty big and I'm not too sure on how accurate they will be?

If I can hit 10 and 12 inch steel plates and show first time BDC users how to do the same, I think that says the accuracy is pretty darn good. I have nothing against mil-dot reticles, a lot of guys like them and that is why Nikon makes them. The key is to find a scope and reticle you'll be happy with and buy it. Again, I would bet some of LRH's Sponsors are participating in Nikon's BDC Promo.

I love the nikon prostaffs. You can't beat them for the money. I have three and have had experience with up to 6. The hardest recoiling rifle was savage 116 in 300 RUM with a nikon prostaff 3-9x40. 600 yard hits on 10 inch steel was easy. My remington 700 SPS tactical .308 win with the 5-20x44mm monarch would go out to 750 with ease as well. Anything past 750 was very difficult with the BDC and 1 inch tube. I ran out of elevation and the bdc circles weren't precise enough for the targets at a grand. I also have a nikon prostaff 2-7x35mm on a rem 700 30-06 which is a regular 400 yard performer at the range and it has killed several deer all within 200 yards. Last but not least I have the nikon 223 3-9x40 on my ar. I just got it so no testing yet but the turrets are nice, the click are positive, the glass is extremely clear, and the eye relief is generous with my adjustable stock. So the point of this rant is for the money you will definitely get the performance and then some out of nikon scopes, especially in your 308. Good luck!

I like the mil dot just fine, but I only use them for holdover not ranging. I've never looked through a BDC reticle outside of a store, but it seems the mil dot would be easier to see/use at distance JMHO.....E

Earl, Looking through Nikon's BDC reticle is only half of the solution. Go to Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program and enter your shooting information, cal,amo and scope. That will then give you the corresponding distances for each BDC circle. Most guys who stand hunt range landmarks when they get set up, I do the same. This lets me make a quick and accurate shot when necessary.

Here's a pic of just some of the information you can get from Spot On. You can even enter wind/atmospheric condition's.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/spoton308.png

I put a 3-9x40 Nikon Prostaff BDC on my 45-70 Handi-Rifle. My plan is to mainly shoot 325gr. LeverEvolution ammo with this setup. Having never dealt with 45-70 or a BDC reticle or any sort of ballistic program I'm not sure what to expect. I don't know what kind of range to expect from this setup but I guess the fun part will be finding out.

L., I think you are in for some big fun, especially if you have a sweater,sweatshirt and hunting jacket on when you pull the trigger!
I would suggest checking out Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program. Enter your scope into, the cal. and type of ammo you are using and you will be surprised how much information you will get. One of my favorite features is picking target distance and what you want your zero to be. Saves a lot of time and ammo sighting in.

Drop me a note of you have any question's about your scope or Spot On.

ScreenShot2014-05-06at111353AM.png

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.