Nikon Monarch 7 2.5-10x50 First impressions

wilkup

Haven't had a chance to get the Burris into the mail for it's return trip yet and figured since it was sitting there when I opened up the Nikon, it'd be good for a comparison. I've included the pictures of each below for comparison =)

My initial impressions of the Nikon is absolute shock after all the bashing that goes on.

Glass: I received this as it was getting dark and frantically unpackaged it to try it out in low light as the sun set and then later once it was completely dark. WOW!!! I know Nikon is known for good glass, but this is so close to what my 4-24 VX6 offers at half the price! I don't think I could be any happier with this category!

Turrets: I've never had a Nikon with the XR turrets and heard the horror stories. Let's just say these are more crisp and just as audible as the Veracity, but more so than the VX6 (which is really quiet and mushy comparably speaking). I'm going to say the turrets are at least as crisp as I remember my HSLR being but not quite as loud. The hashmarks line up perfectly together, which is a first for my experience with Nikon =) I'm pleased, to put it lightly.

Value: For $40 more than a PST, 50% increase compared to the Veracity and half the price of a VX6. For what I got, I'd say I received far more than I bargained for.

Reticle: The BDC is going to take some getting used to and I'll probably dial more than use the holdovers. The Veracity reticle in the FFP was not my favorite. The TMOA in the VX6 is hands down better for wind holds, as is the HSLR BDC reticle with the hashmarks.

One thing I found interesting was the optic has a total elevation travel of 101 3/4 MOA, which is more than enough for what I plan to be using it for.

One thing I was bummed about is that I found it was made in the Philippines, not Japan. Well, the glass is superb even with that small surprise.

Stay tuned for more details as soon as I get my rifle back and have it mounted up!

Attachments

• image4.jpg
    image4.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 312
  • image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 209
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 171
  • image2.jpg
    image2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 170
Well, I've had more time to fiddle with this scope today and am impressed with the finish and craftsmanship on it. For the $700 I spent on this piece of glass, I couldn't be happier!
I'm able to clearly read the "ICE" box at a gas station at 900+ yards.i know that's not an official test by any means, but my VX3 can't do that and the Veracity wasn't able to do that either.
I really like the fact the paralax knob is locked in place when not in use.
Re-zeroing the elevation turret will be super easy but I'm concerned with how easily the turret is pulled up for zeroing. It could get caught on something and accidentally get moved while hunting thick brush. Time will tell if this is a bad feature or not.
Anyone else have experience with one of these scopes?

I've shot Nikons for years and liked them very much. I have only used the Monarchs and the Titanium. These have been good IMO.

Steve

I have a monarch 3 and a prostaff 5. Love them both very good value IMO.

Thanks for the review

They dial accurately and glass is pretty good too. What more can you ask for at the price point. Oh... durable as well. I have owned 5 from Buckmaster to a couple of Monarch 3s.
They are good stuff. I think they are just missing some of that tacticool vibe. I think they look pretty good myself. I think if more shooters realized how good they dial they would be flying out the door. LOL

You mentioned the easily disturbed zero, which somehow was a "feature" going from Monarch 2 to 3. That alone was enough for me not to buy another.

Also, compare the internal adjustment on the 4-16 scopes. It is a lot less at the higher magnification.

Yes, the reticle sucks. It is completely braindead for Nikon not to offer several reticle options since it is likely the cheapest feature on the scope for them to change. For me the BDC reticle gets in the way. I don't think a graduated reticle is patented anymore, so why not offer one ?

I was perfectly OK with the original Monarch 2 zeroing process. To use setscrews like Vortex would have been another option, since you do not have to completely remove the knob and it would not be accidentally shifted in the field.

I think that the fact that Nikon USA HQ is located in NYC and staffed by people who obviously live in that gun hating hell hole explains a lot for the screwed up decisions being made by what is in fact a perfectly good Japanese optical company.

Advice to Nikon: Relocate your office to Montana, Idaho or Alaska. Alaska would actually be much closer to Japan. Your US workers in those states would give you much better direction for marketable scopes for hunting or tactical use than the people of NYC, who generally hate gun owners and hunters alike.

I set up my rigs for MPBR anyways as most my shots are under 400yards. 330 has been my longest. I agree that the BDC reticle is just a mess to look at and I still like the ole Duplex reticle for most of my needs. I found a hot deal online and just ordered a Monarch 3 4x16x50 for $410. Looking at the Conquest at $1100 I just couldn't see the reason to spend an extra $700 for a scope that isn't that much better IMO.
https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/pro...k-finish-6774-018208067749.do?sortby=ourPicks

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.