Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 or 3-12x42

BrowningBoy

hey i want to extend my hunting range to about 500 - 600 yards and I wanted to know which model would fit my use better. My set up isnt going to be specifically for LR. I would like to use it for the short 30 - 50 yard shot too. the 3-12 model has a parralax turrent and I dont know much about them so if you could educate me on that.

My budget is around $400 so if you guys could recomend other scopes that would be great.

thanks

Both are excellent scopes for what you describe Browning. I might also sugest looking at these with the BDC reticle. It'll help you be more accurate when you do need to make that longrange shot.
Go to Nikonhunting.com, click on the Spot On logo, this site will tell you all you need to know about utilizing the BDC reticle and dialing in the circles to you ammo and cal., you can also get changes for wind speed/direction.
Here's a pic of me and my older Nikon 3-12x42 BDC scope on my Hill Country .300 win mag. rifle.My longest shot to date is 427 yards on a doe in Kansas. 1 shot stop. Right before that I shot another doe at less then 50 yards. The new scope have side focus parallax adjustment which is a nice feature.
Drop me a note if you have any questions.
Bart
Nikon Pro Staff

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/Bart300Nikon3-12.jpg

I shoot the 2.5-10x42 and the 4-16x42. The 2-10 has 42 feet field of view which is very important in a hunting situation for close animals and in timber. Also it is lighter. The 4-16 is a light scope for the power with adequate field of view and will get me out to as far as most of my rifles are effective unless I am shooting one of the big ones extreme range. In my opinion these are as good as any scope on the market in their price range.

If you decide on the 2.5-10x42 I have 3-4 new in unopened box I am selling for $299 each. I have just got way to much stuff and making people some bargains out of my gun room. I have two of the 4-16x42 at $359 but one is spoken for. They all have the mil dot reticles for easier long range work.

The 2.5-10x42 or 50mm is one of my favorite scopes for hunting. 2 of my buddies use that exact scope for deer hunting but with the BDC reticle. Makes for much quicker target acquisition. Here's a copy of the Nikon Warranty too.

Nikon Full Lifetime Warranty
Nikon Riflescope (No Electronic Components)
This is your Nikon Inc. Full Lifetime Warranty (valid in the Continental United States, Alaska and Hawaii) for new Nikon riflescopes that do not contain electronic components. This Nikon product is warranted by Nikon Inc. to be free from defects in material and workmanship for the lifetime of the product. If this product is found to have defects in material or workmanship, Nikon Inc. will at its option and without charge, either repair or replace this product, even if you are not the original owner. No warranty card is required to obtain warranty service.
This warranty shall not apply to the following:
1. Any product that has been subject to abuse, misuse, neglect, alteration, abnormal use or accident. 2. Any defects or damage directly or indirectly caused by the use of unauthorized replacement parts and/or service performed by unauthorized personnel.
This warranty is made expressly in lieu of all other expressed warranties. Nikon disclaims all liability for consequential or incidental damage for the breach of any warranty or any other claim with respect to this product, including but not limited to, claims of negligence, strict liability or breach of contract.
Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights, which vary from state to state.
For warranty service, the consumer should return this Nikon product to the Warranty Department of Nikon Inc. either in person or addressed to:
Nikon Inc. Warranty Department 841 Apollo Street, Suite 100 El Segundo, CA 90245-4721 Phone: 1-800-645-6687
The consumer in returning this Nikon product should prepay all postage, shipping, transportation, insurance and delivery costs to Nikon's repair facility. Nikon Inc. will not be responsible for any loss or damage incurred in connection with the return of this product.
THIS WARRANTY SHALL BE VALID ONLY WITH NEW NIKON RIFLESCOPES (NO ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS) SOLD BY NIKON INC.
For complete details, see the Nikon Warranty Card inside the box, or visit our website: Digital Cameras | Nikon Digital Camera, Lenses & More © 10/09

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.