Nikon Monarch 3

T Shot

Have any of you guys messed around with or bought one of the new monarchs yet? i have been considering getting one for a mid range scope, but cant find anyone that carries them yet. I read that the turret system is spring loaded to reset the zero but thats about all i have read as far as difference. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks

Vortex is now too competitive and you will not have to deal with a service center on Manhattan island. I have had several Nikons, but not again. They have really stupid reticle options too.

I have never used a vortex, nor know anyone that uses them. Are they that much better that I should just forget about the monarch? Which model is comparable to the monarch? I do like that they are 30 mm vs 1 inch

So a present day comparison:
Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x50 non BDC
Nikon Monarch 3 Riflescope - 4-16x50, BDC FREE S&H 6775, 6774. Nikon Rifle Scopes.
$500 Capped turrets duplex style (basic) reticle 1" tube
(just getting a replacement turret knob for my Monarch 2 was $100 and it is still capped)
Internal adjustment 50MOA
Reticle
Nikoplex_Reticle.png

Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50 LR scope with dead hold BDC reticle
Vortex Optics Viper HS 4-16x50 30mm Long Range Scope FREE S&H VHS-4307-LR, VHS-4313-LR. Vortex Viper Rifle Scopes, Vortex Rifle Scopes.
$599 ($100 more basically)
Elevation 75MOA Windage 50MOA
It has a proper reticle with a scale on the horizontal and vertical axis
It has an exposed elevation turret for dialing up bullet drop

Reticle
sub_vpr_hs-lr_s_4-16x50_bdc_moa.jpg

Vortex has about the best warranty service in the business. Can one really compare the 2 scopes above ? The Vortex costs 20% more but is it only 20% more scope ? Just trying to emulate the elevation turret through their "Spot On" system will add more than $100 and wait till you see your "biscuit" turret knob that is hardly 1/4" high....

Sounds like they are worth more than the 20% cost comparison. How do they perform on a hunting rig? Considering bad weather and rough terrain...

I would not consider mine a delicate scope. I have had my Viper PST FFP 4-16x50 for a year now and have not had any issues. Any time you have exposed turrets you need to reset them properly to zero after you sight in and then check them after taking it out the rifle case. For the scope suggested that would be the elevation turret and the parallax adjustment.

I take a 4" long strip of duct tape and stick it to the stock on the left side above the trigger. Then I write my dope on that for windage and elevation and then put a strip of clear packing tape on top so it will not smudge.

After some research, it seems that the viper hs is a better scope for the money all the way around, compared to the monarch. Anyone else have anything to add? I have always liked nikon but i have read a ton of negative things about them.

If you go with the "regular" Viper HS with capped elevation and windage turrets and still the "dead hold BDC reticle (superior to anything Nikon has) then one is closer to unity on the price ($550) and still getting a 30mm tube and 50% more internal travel than the Nikon.

I still think that the exposed turret is well worth the extra $50.

Ive got a few monarchs and in there price range there fine scopes that compete with any brand.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts