NF FFP ATACR for 2015!

Tactical is a unique crowd and we are the very guys that keep your asses safe. If 13,14,15, pounds is too heavy for you Lightweights don't buy that set up and move on. Most testing is
done in the tactical world and we like it.

LOL.... Easy Killer.... Not sure what prompted that. You must be the only one on here that has ever kept asses safe before right? It's the Holidays.... Relax. :cool:

Tactical is a unique crowd and we are the very guys that keep your asses safe. If 13,14,15, pounds is too heavy for you Lightweights don't buy that set up and move on. Most testing is
done in the tactical world and we like it.

Allot of the "Tactical Guys" that I have come across are fat, middle-aged, losers, who think that cool gear makes them a bad-***.

Extreme, I'm not implying that you are one of them but PLEASE... give us a break with that statement!

Lol. Decaf is good.

Im not interested in the beast. I think the two tier adjustment feature is a complete fail. I mean really in any serious long range cartridge his long does it take to dial 6 or 7 mils. Or ten. Could have saved some dough there.

A 22 to 25 power FFP scope in the nxs series is all I was looking for. Or the ATACR if it isn't over $2500.
If it us more than that I'll stick with the leupy m5a2. It tops out at 20x but is FFP, nice and clear glass, durable and tracks. The only thing it is missing is illum, which is ok. My real complaint is that the extra magnification would have been nice on low mirage days.

Allot of the "Tactical Guys" that I have come across are fat, middle-aged, losers, who think that cool gear makes them a bad-***.

Extreme, I'm not implying that you are one of them but PLEASE... give us a break with that statement!

facebook like

I wish they would have also put out the 4-16 in a SFP, really like the low pro turret with capped windage, FFP just don't get it for me for hunting though.

The new SHV is also interesting, would definitely fit some builds I have in mind!

I wish they would have also put out the 4-16 in a SFP, really like the low pro turret with capped windage, FFP just don't get it for me for hunting though.

You're probably right, but I've never had an FFP scope, and occasionally I get the feeling I need to try one just to see why this discussion gets so heated.

SFP vs FFP is a personal preference issue, as it is proven that either will work. SFP just gives you a little more to remember in that your mil or moa reticle will only be correct at one power setting. In the heat of the moment if you forget you can miss because of that. The beauty of FFP is that the reticle always works. It us also nice if you are spotting through the scope while target shooting with a buddy, you can call corrections off your reticle regardless of power setting. Since we often change power in hunting situations to get better field of view or deal with mirage it is nice to be able to hold and shoot without thinking about the reticle.
If you never change power in your scope and always shoot at max magnification then it doesn't really matter. I just don't like that limitation. There are two downsides to FFP. one is for some reason they are usually a little more money. The other is that since the reticle is always the same size relative to the appearance of the target, it means the crosshairs are " smaller" at lower mag when target appears smaller and "bigger" at higher mag. This bothers some people, but really it is the entire point of the reticle...it always subtends the same on the target. I've never missed because my reticle doesn't look the same thickness, but I have missed on a SFP scope because forgot that I had dialed the power back to get better FOV some walking coyotes and tried a holdover that would have only worked at max power. My fault, not the scopes, but that won't happen on a FFP, I'd have to find another excuse for missing!

The advantages of FFP has been stated many times over. So has the shortcomings. Personally, I agree w/ KYPatriot - it's all about preference. If you are going to dial elv & wind, great, you'll be very happy with SFP. If itty-bitty groups are your thing, great, go SFP.

However, if you hold for wind, go FFP. If you use your reticle for measurements, go FFP. Shoot under stressful situations, go FFP. I shoot FFP because I prefer a reticle that subtends the same at all magnifications - I like it getting larger as I go up in magnification.

Guys on the Hide routinely shoot game with FFP scopes at ridiculous distances. George clipped an antelope at 1268 in 2013 and one at 1580 this year. Both with a FFP scope.

You're probably right, but I've never had an FFP scope, and occasionally I get the feeling I need to try one just to see why this discussion gets so heated.

You really need to just get one and try it, I advise to get one at the right price so you don't loose money if it's not for you.

My shooting is always done with the dial, if I'm setting up for speed I'll use a BDC turret and then I still have speed but I retail the ease and speed of a center hold without thinking about where I'm holding or where I held the last shot.
I've had issues with FFP in the timber using low power, pull up and yep there's elk but the reticle is MIA without good light, back ground or illumination. I also found I hate the thickness of the cross hair at ELR on top power, for me I can't pick that one spot I want the bullet to go, I feel like I'm aiming AT an animal not that precise aim point. I'll also use the SFP reticle to more accurately match the hold to the range.

For me my stressful shooting will be in the timber trying to pick up an elk fast and put a round through him, I want a fast center hold and an aimpoint that's just there, the SFP optic has been much easier for me.
I like the FFP optic for shooting where I'll be in the middle power range where the reticle is nice and crisp yet the reticle is at the smallest value.

It's all about YOUR shooting as to which is best!

You really need to just get one and try it, I advise to get one at the right price so you don't loose money if it's not for you.

My shooting is always done with the dial, if I'm setting up for speed I'll use a BDC turret and then I still have speed but I retail the ease and speed of a center hold without thinking about where I'm holding or where I held the last shot.
I've had issues with FFP in the timber using low power, pull up and yep there's elk but the reticle is MIA without good light, back ground or illumination. I also found I hate the thickness of the cross hair at ELR on top power, for me I can't pick that one spot I want the bullet to go, I feel like I'm aiming AT an animal not that precise aim point. I'll also use the SFP reticle to more accurately match the hold to the range.

For me my stressful shooting will be in the timber trying to pick up an elk fast and put a round through him, I want a fast center hold and an aimpoint that's just there, the SFP optic has been much easier for me.
I like the FFP optic for shooting where I'll be in the middle power range where the reticle is nice and crisp yet the reticle is at the smallest value.

There you go. This is why I mentioned somewhere on here before that I wish they would make a second focal plane plain crosshair, and make only the mil or moa hash marks in the first focal plane. That way the crosshair is larger at low mag, more precise at high mag, but the hash marks would still be accurate at any magnification. Best of both worlds combining the best feature of both kinds of scopes.

I was raised in the thick stuff, and I'm OK there.

Working on LRH, but likely this will involve more 'chucks than bucks, equipment wise I'm closing in on good enough.

I am slowly giving into the idea of a rifle set up for those middle ranges, I've got the rifle(s) LOL! The optic is is the the stressor. I'm thinking 4-16x is where I'd like to be, but in my bones I look at that low number, and vapor lock.

yeah but all the ATACR scopes are 34 mm tube scopes. The only guys who can use these are guys with 50 bmg's OR maybe and I say maybe 338 lapua shooters. This is only if your shooting beyond 1 mile. The reason is the 30mm tube scopes should have enough travel to get just about any long range cartridge to 1 mile. Otherwise these are for the bigger is better tactical crowd that think its ok for a sniper rifle to be 15#'s. The tactical community is driving this and I have to say they are a unique crowd that I am really not a fan of.

I have mine on a 7 mag:D

How do you like it??

I will be putting it on a 7mm too:)

I really don't think I could be more satisfied. I have the MOAR reticle and it hasn't seemed too thick for shooting to 1,000 anyways. I briefly considered selling it when I heard that the F1 model was going to be released, but I don't think I will. Honestly I don't need ffp on it. If anything I'm shooting at is past 250-300 yards, I have it cranked up anyways. I highly doubt you'll be disappointed:).

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.