NF FFP ATACR for 2015!

I am almost 100% sure I'm buying it.

Does the 34mm look too big on your gun?

I am almost 100% sure I'm buying it.

Does the 34mm look too big on your gun?

Honestly I don't think it looks out of place. Sure it's big, but I knew that before buying it. My gun isn't tacticool either. It's a McMillan M40A1 stock with a 27" Shilen barrel. You can look for yourself, I've got a photo of it under 7mm in the gun photos section:). Some people might think it doesn't look right, but anymore I'm all about function. Appearance is minimal.

At $2400 (or a little less) I think I'm going to pick up a 4-16. That will be an awesome optic for my 6.5 SAUM! I'm betting a set of APA .856" 34mm rings will be a perfect height.

I don't understand 2900. I like FFP, and don't even want SFP scopes anymore, but it isn't worth an extra 1000 to me when I can get a SFP nxs or a FFP leupy for a 1000 dollars less. If they had priced the 25 power at 2400 max I think it would become their best seller. As it is, I think most will upgrade to the S&B or go with the much cheaper FFP Leupold m5 a2 and settle for 20 power. I like the extra 5 x but for another 1000?

I don't understand 2900. I like FFP, and don't even want SFP scopes anymore, but it isn't worth an extra 1000 to me when I can get a SFP nxs or a FFP leupy for a 1000 dollars less. If they had priced the 25 power at 2400 max I think it would become their best seller. As it is, I think most will upgrade to the S&B or go with the much cheaper FFP Leupold m5 a2 and settle for 20 power. I like the extra 5 x but for another 1000?

I see what you're saying, but over the course of say five years, what's an extra $200/year? Sure it's an extra $1,000 up front, but if you plan on keeping it for a long time and would really benefit from ffp it wouldn't be a huge deal. Maybe I'm reaching to try and justify it to myself:). Actually that sounds like something I'd say to my wife to see if she'd bite haha.

FFP is another notion pushed alot by the tacticool crowd. In a high power scope like say a 6-24 or 8-42, FFP is a solid choice, provided the scope is mil based. in a MOA scope FFP usually means 2 moa increments on the markings on the reticle which in my mind isn't worthwhile. There are some definate and distinct disadvantages to FFP that seem to get overlooked by the tacticool crowd.

in a scope like a 3-12 or lower power FFP makes no sense to me. your simply not going to be using the features of the reticle on anything but max power on a scope like that. with FFP if the reticle isn't useable at low power why on earth is it better than SFP which IS usuable at lower power if you are inclined to do that. its real simple if your not going to dial off max power to shoot distance and thus need the features of the reticle you don't need FFP!

34mm FFP reticles all this is to appease the tacticool crowd. The long range hunting crowd should not be wooed by it. flame away I don't care. maybe I am not cool enough to be tacticool.

34mm FFP reticles all this is to appease the tacticool crowd. The long range hunting crowd should not be wooed by it. flame away I don't care. maybe I am not cool enough to be tactical.

Not a flame, but it's clear that the issue irritates you more than I understand. A lot of what we use hunting has evolved from the military/tactical side of shooting and has for a long time.

As big game hunting opportunities decline, many of us look around for other shooting opportunities be it steel, or 3 gun.

Bigngreen gives a good explanation of how he sees FFP fitting into an overall hunting plan. I can see from Broz, you and others the merit of SFP in a "pure" LRH.

Many of us will never reach those distances. I'm signed up for the Long range shooting class with Non Typical Outfitters. For his hunts he describes the same situation Bigngreen does-"middle" ranges with no time for dialing. FFP sounds like a legitimate choice to me.

I'm going to Oregon shooting coyotes the middle of next month, and in my thinking FFP and coyote hunting should go together like "peas and carrots". The possibility of multiple targets, multiple ranges and very little time

I've proved to myself the fallacy of trying to use reference points in SFP scopes many times, from the tip of the duplex, to additional dots back when having Premier install one aftermarket was the primary choice.

I've never used one, and freely admit I may have been effectively marketed, but at some point I'll have to own one.

If a person wants shooting opportunities these days, some flexibility may help. Benchrest, F-class, Tactical, banging steel, or just busting rocks, it's all trigger time, and as such its all good when hunting season rolls around.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.