NF FFP ATACR for 2015!

FFP is another notion pushed alot by the tacticool crowd. In a high power scope like say a 6-24 or 8-42, FFP is a solid choice, provided the scope is mil based. in a MOA scope FFP usually means 2 moa increments on the markings on the reticle which in my mind isn't worthwhile. There are some definate and distinct disadvantages to FFP that seem to get overlooked by the tacticool crowd.

in a scope like a 3-12 or lower power FFP makes no sense to me. your simply not going to be using the features of the reticle on anything but max power on a scope like that. with FFP if the reticle isn't useable at low power why on earth is it better than SFP which IS usuable at lower power if you are inclined to do that. its real simple if your not going to dial off max power to shoot distance and thus need the features of the reticle you don't need FFP!

34mm FFP reticles all this is to appease the tacticool crowd. The long range hunting crowd should not be wooed by it. flame away I don't care. maybe I am not cool enough to be tacticool.

Do you hunt, and if so have you ever dialed back to increase the FOV? Ever used a reticle for holdovers? Ever seen mirage and dialed down to decrease it?
It's not about being cool, it's about utilizing technology for the fastest most reliable hits at range. there are advantage to FFP...learned on the battlefield, that apply to non battlefield applications. You can choose to ignore them if you like but that doesn't mean they aren't real. Are suppressors and brakes a waste of money or a joke too ? Hell why even use a scope? Better yet, aren't rifles for sissies who can't use a recurve anyway?

Do you hunt, and if so have you ever dialed back to increase the FOV? Ever used a reticle for holdovers? Ever seen mirage and dialed down to decrease it?
It's not about being cool, it's about utilizing technology for the fastest most reliable hits at range. there are advantage to FFP...learned on the battlefield, that apply to non battlefield applications. You can choose to ignore them if you like but that doesn't mean they aren't real. Are suppressors and brakes a waste of money or a joke too ? Hell why even use a scope? Better yet, aren't rifles for sissies who can't use a recurve anyway?

what do you mean do I hunt, YES wide open spaces and at animals that could be as far as you could see them with optics. I live in utah, you failed to read what I said. I said IF you will see yourself dialing down from max power FFP might be a good choice. I stated what powers of scopes and class of optics that applied to. mirage and all that isn't an issue with a scope that tops out at 14 or 15x. This is a hunting forum not a tacticool forum. Generally most people want a hunting optic to also have a lower power setting as this is the setting its most often used at. if you need extra FOV your making a quick shot on something that is probably moving. I don't see how this is going to be using the feature of the reticle.

next time your at the gun store go look at a FFP scope on 4x and get back to me what the reticle looks like. no I don't use a reticle for hold overs I dial for that and hold for wind. if the shot is far enough away that I am dialing for it. I am going to be at max power most likely. I don't use 6.5-20 or more powerful scopes for hunting well maybe prairie dogs, not for big game hunting though. something that has 3x or 4x on the low end. 14-16 on high, a scope of that power range is perfect as a big game scope and it is best as a SFP optic. everyone has their own opinions, thats mine. The tacticool community is run by group think and pack mentality. Its like that is cool and a must have and the other thing sucks. then its on to something else.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.