NF FFP ATACR for 2015!

I still want a SFP ATACR so hopefully there will be some good sales going on for the 2014 models

I was excited over this at first but that price point is pretty disappointing. At $23-2400 ok, but if I pay over $3k for a scope it is going to have S&B on it.

yeah but all the ATACR scopes are 34 mm tube scopes. The only guys who can use these are guys with 50 bmg's OR maybe and I say maybe 338 lapua shooters. This is only if your shooting beyond 1 mile. The reason is the 30mm tube scopes should have enough travel to get just about any long range cartridge to 1 mile. Otherwise these are for the bigger is better tactical crowd that think its ok for a sniper rifle to be 15#'s. The tactical community is driving this and I have to say they are a unique crowd that I am really not a fan of.

yeah but all the ATACR scopes are 34 mm tube scopes. The only guys who can use these are guys with 50 bmg's OR maybe and I say maybe 338 lapua shooters. This is only if your shooting beyond 1 mile. The reason is the 30mm tube scopes should have enough travel to get just about any long range cartridge to 1 mile. Otherwise these are for the bigger is better tactical crowd that think its ok for a sniper rifle to be 15#'s. The tactical community is driving this and I have to say they are a unique crowd that I am really not a fan of.

Nailed it. I cant stand the new "tacticool" trend. Anything with the word tactical attached to it is the coolest thing out there. Thats why I love these parody you tube videos so much.

Last edited by a moderator:

True enough, but the 34 mm is also quite a bit stronger.

Different horses for different courses. The optimum rifle for a flat lander shooting a mile who walked 15 ft from his truck to his firing position is not going to look like an ultra lite back country rifle. So it some cases, it is not only ok, but desirable for a " sniper " rifle to be over 15 lb. You have to make compromises in really lightweight rifles there is no free lunch.

Since most law enforcement sniper shots are under a hundred yards the rifle they use is pretty much irrelevant. Any 1 moa factory rifle would work for the statistical average of their shots. Of course, prudence dictates they should be prepared for a shot more common to military snipers but those would be exceedingly rare.

I agree with you that no soldier or high country shooter ever volunteered for more weight to carry. But not everyone does that either.

Id wager the majority of long ranges on this site get carried by pickups, and that many of those pickups have rarely been off pavement !

That's ok with me, the more good shooters this country has the better, regardless of rifle or style. I'll take all we can get. In fact, I've noticed that the guys with more rifle bling are more likely to be politically active and stand up for our rights than the average fudd who says nothing until they start mentioning his ancient model 70 with the old redfield on it.

The most important thing in this thread is Ive been missing out on the rifle mounted TACTICAL beer opener:D

So put a carbon wrapped barrel on the rifle to offset the weight increase of the scope.

Tactical is a unique crowd and we are the very guys that keep your asses safe. If 13,14,15, pounds is too heavy for you Lightweights don't buy that set up and move on. Most testing is
done in the tactical world and we like it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.