Next 30 cal build, which caliber? - 300PRC, 30 Nosler, .300 Norma, 300 WSM, etc?

Out of you choices I'd go 300wsm at 22 inches for a light weight option and 30 nosler at 24 to 26 inches for a longer range hammer

Last edited:
Your range is 400-500 really doesn't scream need for bigger 30. As stated in previous posts, the 300WM is perfect for this range. You want more out of it?

EASY BUTTON: load 196HH with RL26 and you will see velocity well over 3100. I shoot this at 3150 in 26" Sendero at 1/2MOA. This is not a pressure load at all in this rifle. The 196HH transforms the 300WM like no other bullet. See the Hammer load data.

If you decide to go long range agree the 300PRC tough to beat but at 400-500, the 300WM is one heck of a cartridge! Ignore the blah blah belt and neck problem, it shoots fine.

As someone who used 300WM for years (and a Rock Springs, WY "Veteran" LOL, I did a lot of long distance shooting in western WY). I changed to the 300 PRC and love it. I found that my 300PRC loves the heavier bullets (210+grains) vs the lighter 180-200 grain bullets. If you choose the 300PRC, I'd recommend getting a 1:8.5 min twist (1:8 being more readily available) as the faster twist will stabilize the heavier bullets (210+grains) MUCH better.

Great info here, thanks for sharing!

Yes I reload, have quite a bit of H1000, thinking of having APR build the rifle, yes it will be a walking rifle, and no I am not recoil sensative.
You need to look at the sherman magnums then. Your desires scream 7 mega or 300mega heck even 338 mega at the distances you are talking about. Do a search here on "300 mega".

Ivery
Hi All, looking for some advise on what my next rifle caliber should be. The gun will be used primarily for elk/mule deer hunting in Colorado, Wyoming, etc.

I currently have a .300WM with a 1-10 twist that only gets about 2,750-2,800 fps with Berger 215's and I feel that I could do better. I have about 300 Berger 230's that I plan to run through this new build (or the 215's, we'll see).

I'm strongly considering a .300PRC (1-9 twist) or a 30 Nosler. The real question is, would the PRC be that big of an upgrade to the 300WM? If not, would the 30Nosler or 300NM be?

I have read a bunch of good things on the Nosler, but how is the barrel life for everyone?
I've owned rifles chambered in every one of those cartridges and the 30 Nos is my favorite.
It runs with the 300 NM without the ridiculous case stretch or lapua action issues.
Peterson brass is great stuff and probably tougher than Lapua from what I'm seeing.
If you're going with a custom build and throat the nos for 230s it'll be a great setup.
The only reason to buy a prc is of you don't handload

Hi All, looking for some advise on what my next rifle caliber should be. The gun will be used primarily for elk/mule deer hunting in Colorado, Wyoming, etc.

I currently have a .300WM with a 1-10 twist that only gets about 2,750-2,800 fps with Berger 215's and I feel that I could do better. I have about 300 Berger 230's that I plan to run through this new build (or the 215's, we'll see).

I'm strongly considering a .300PRC (1-9 twist) or a 30 Nosler. The real question is, would the PRC be that big of an upgrade to the 300WM? If not, would the 30Nosler or 300NM be?

I have read a bunch of good things on the Nosler, but how is the barrel life for everyone?
The answer is obviously 30-06AI, and I've already got a great one built for you. :cool:

Ivery

I've owned rifles chambered in every one of those cartridges and the 30 Nos is my favorite.
It runs with the 300 NM without the ridiculous case stretch or lapua action issues.
Peterson brass is great stuff and probably tougher than Lapua from what I'm seeing.
If you're going with a custom build and throat the nos for 230s it'll be a great setup.
The only reason to buy a prc is of you don't handload
Kind of what I was thinking and reading online. What twist rate and barrel length do you recommend on the Nosler?

There are just so many good choices out there. My boss has a working/hunting ranch in WY, and it's kinda funny, our main guide takes elk with a ratty old .243. Of course it's all about shot placement, and how close. For long range, I personally love my .338RUM, and .33 Nosler. .338 RUM is surprisingly reasonable cost and performance right outta the factory box. .30 RUM is a really great choice. It's easier to find than .338 RUM, generally less expensive. I did the whole .338 Lapua thing for a long time....but honestly, my 17lb "tactical rifle" was a bad choice for anything other than bench shooting, and the Lapua "hype price" of double my .338RUM wasn't worth it. We aren't out there threading the needle at 1800 meters....as usual, 400 meters and in for game. But hey, with any of the RUM's or Noslers, your going to be able to really reach out there if you want to.

The truth is that in practical application there is very little difference between any of those rounds. Pick what you wish based on whatever variables are important to you. Anything with repeatable, consistent accuracy will also have a consistent trajectory out to your maximum effective range.

For an elk gun, I started with a 24" 300 PRC with a brake on it. Really really didn't appreciate the brake concussion, so converting to a 20" 300 WSM suppressed now. Should still be fine out to 500y.

After going through many 30cals from 300WM, 300 Weatherby, 30-338 Winchester, trying to get the 30 caliber to maximum performance, I finally built one that does the job and does it well. I'm using a Lothar Walther 26" 1-8.75 twist barrel, with an Area419 Sidewinder muzzle brake, in 300RUM, pushing 230gr pills in sub half inch groups at 3231fps. The recoil seems like it is less than my 25-06. Yes, the barrel might be toast after 1500 rounds but, seriously, how many people use their custom large game hunting rifles for Prarie Dog shooting?

After going through many 30cals from 300WM, 300 Weatherby, 30-338 Winchester, trying to get the 30 caliber to maximum performance, I finally built one that does the job and does it well. I'm using a Lothar Walther 26" 1-8.75 twist barrel, with an Area419 Sidewinder muzzle brake, in 300RUM, pushing 230gr pills in sub half inch groups at 3231fps. The recoil seems like it is less than my 25-06. Yes, the barrel might be toast after 1500 rounds but, seriously, how many people use their custom large game hunting rifles for Prarie Dog shooting?
Yep that's the truth.

I've had 300 Rum for a while now, I've decided my next chambering will be a 300 PRC improved. I will probably go with the 30 Sherman mag.
It's just behind the RUM and I will get to mag feed it. Main reason for me to mag feed is I just shot Night Force steel challenge and single loading was for sure a disadvantage.

All the 30 are almost equal in that area, the Weatherby and Ultra take longer action But 30 Norma will outshine all of them beyond 500 yards I would build on H&H length so I could set longer bullet out in a longer mag well of H&H!