Newbie Success!! 6.5x284

duckhunter175

I've been lurking on the site for awhile, reading learning and hopefully not asking too many questions that aren't on a thread somewhere else. Finally pulled the trigger on my own reloading kit and with some sage advice from my gun store and some friends who handload I got the ball rolling.

Fired the first rounds today that I've handloaded for my Savage LRH 6.5x284 and had great success. I have the equipment for my 25/06 and .338wm and can't wait to start with those also! Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has provided info to those of us just getting started whether it was on rifles, reloading equipment or data and tips!!

Savage 111 LRH
6.5x284 Norma
Vortex HSLR 4-16x50 FFP
DNZ One Piece Mount
Nosler Brass
140gr Amax
42gr through 44.5gr RL19
Federal 210M primers

Velocities were low and ranged 2400-2575 as I started at the lowest book value that I could find and worked up in .5 gr increments. Going to reload and work up in .5 towards 48-49gr and then test H4350. I'll have to review and record the data for ES and SD next time, I forgot and there wasn't a column on my 'data book'.

Thanks again guys!

Congratulations! I remember that feeling, shooting the first 270Win. cartridges I made. That was over 30 years ago and I love it today even more. I hope you get as much enjoyment and satisfaction as I have over the years. The learning curve is a lot sharper today than it was back then, with all the information available on the internet.

I'm also shooting 6.5-284Norma, 140gn A-Max's ahead of a max (Hodgdon) load of Retumbo, in Lapua brass and CCI BR2's. My Savage shot a 15" group this past Sunday at 1300yds, and while that is over MOA, I'll take it. That was at noon time, Sunday, and the variable winds and mirage were kicking my butt.

Good luck and good shooting. JohnnyK.

Its a great feeling to know you made the ammo yourself when you go out and shoot a great group or take a trophy animal. I remember the first reloaded round I ever shot (it was actually a pistol round). All I was thinking was "Please don't blow up on me!". The sense of accomplishment when everything went normal was awesome. gun)

I have been using barnes 127gr lrx with 44 grains or 4350 in mine. It is lighter than a lot of people load, but it shoots really well. They run about 2850 fps.

Congratulations....my first handloads were with a 6.5-284....H4350 and 140 Bergers...I was scared shitless...LOL...they worked, even shot into an inch...

I've been sticking to the RL19 for now but may need to try the 1# of H4350 I have.

JR- You went with 140gr Bergers on your first go at reloading? Did you have issues with seating depth? I've heard they can be finicky.

I just seated the 140gr Amax to book specs for COAL, which from reading, I know isn't the most precise option but it has worked ok and eventually I'll get the adapter to measure CBTO.

More data from today.

Went up to 48gr RL19, Fed 210m, nosler brass and 140gr Amax-- Got 2710fps avg, no pressure signs.

I'm planning this as a hunting load for my Arizona Coues deer trip in October. The temps should be similar there to what we have here in KY now--- Low to mid 80s.

I think I want to push that load up in .5gr increments until I get higher velocity and before accuracy drops. Planning to load up towards 51-52gr.

I also have H4350 and H4831sc to test.

My current load is 140 gr Berger vlds, 49 gr H4350, lapua brass, and fed 210m primers. I have had great success with it in my rifle. H4350 or H4831sc, should produce higher velocity for you.

I load 53 GR of 4831SC with Fed 210 primers for a velocity of 2966 this load produces very good results in my rifle . I had found that I had ok results with this load until I was done shooting out my virgin brass then once I resized groups shrank even more now I get a .85" at 200yards with this load .

All--- Thanks for the advice and ideas. I have a fellow shooter here who I just met at the range this last trip who gave me some SMKs, 20 pieces of lapua brass and some 4831sc to try out. Very knowledgable and helpful individual that I'm looking forward to shooting with again.

Sounds like the sweet spot for the H4831sc is around 51-53gr depending on the rifle, etc.

I'm also going to try the H4350 as well to see how it shoots. I have 40 pieces of Nosler that is now 2x fired so I will probably stick with that and use the Lapua for a different load. I don't want to change too many variables for this hunting load.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.