mtrigg88

Hey guys. I'm new to reloading and off to a decent start but I have a question. I'm loading my .260 rem model 7 with Berger 130 gr vld's and my most accurate load so far is 45 gr of imr 4831. But after leaving the range today I noticed some brass shavings on my bolt face. I inspected my brass and noticed one casing has a very slight hairline "scratch" about half way around the primer pocket. No split cases and no ejector marks. Is this a sign of too much pressure? Be gentle, I'm a newbie. Thanks

Probably just machining on the bolt face but post some pics that will help. Pressure is. Sneaky tHing and not all rifles react the same.

What's your C.B.O.L and C.O.A.L numbers?
A scratch on the end of the case in the area of the primer pocket may simply be due to debris on the bolt face at some point.
"Brass shavings" or dust? A small amount of brass that may slightly coat the face of the bolt isn't unusual and often originates with the opening and closing of the bolt and bits of brass dust like particlas can collect around the rim of the bolt face or perhaps around the firing pin hole but "shavings" makes me a bit more curious.

Case length is 2.032 C.O.A.L length is 2.798. I've already cleaned the bolt face but I was able to measure the biggest sliver of brass and it was around 0.057 in length. I may be nit picking but I just don't want to damage my rifle. Thanks guys

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 56
Thanks guys. I have one more question. How do you prep your new brass? I just picked up 100 lapua cases and have heard lots of opinions on how not to prep new brass.

Great link FearNoWind. Hard to tell from photos posted I would start by disasmbleing the bolt/extractor, cleaning and lubeing. Could be a myriad of things, brass shavings machine tooling marks etc.

As for prepping brass depends on what brand, Norma/Lapua I resize, check length (rarely and issue) prime and load. Remington and others, ream primer pocket, size flash hole, full lenght resize, trim, prime and load. Sometimes I tumble prior if it looks dirty. Lots of work!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.