AZ148

Hello. I'm extemely new to the site,...in fact this is my first post. My dad picked up a 270 he has wanted for some time, and i have no experience with this caliber. I did some reading and did numerous searches on this site, but i wanted to solicit some advice.

I want to work him up a load for his elk hunt this fall. Before I get too far along i want to let you know that between the two of us we have numerous calibers to hunt elk with 7mm up to 300 ultra.

It's a long story but this gun is very special and without question will be used for this hunt.

The shot distances will be between 150-400 yds. I feel some where in the middle is a true estimate. I leaning toward using a berger 140 Vld, i've had good luck their bullets in other applications, I'm also a fan of Nosler. Any and all advice/loads is welcome.

Thanks

To newbie, 2 weeks and still no help seems odd for LRH forums, I would say for shots inside 400yds on elk, with 270 stick with a bonded bullet or barnes xbullets or something constructed tougher, as shot can sometime be less than desirable. Not to say berger bullets wouldnt get the job done, just think they are better suited for extended range shooting on unsuspecting animals with time to wait for broad side shots. Good luck on your hunt.

Last edited:
"I leaning toward using a berger 140 Vld, i've had good luck their bullets in other applications, I'm also a fan of Nosler."

Well, it's hard to differentiate between the two choices. Either should be fine. ??

Thanks for getting back to me. I ended up E-mailing Berger and got some ideas. The gun likes R-22 with the Bergers. Boomtube, I am also a fan of Nosler. Shot a 187 Mule deer in the Kaibab (northern Az) this year with a 7mm mag with a 140 grain ballistic tip at 426yds. Still got a lot of time to play with this. again i appreciate the response.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.