Newbie about to start loading for short barrel .308 and looking for some advice

jlarose85

Besides well wishes on finding large rifle primers, I'm looking to see what advise you guys might have for me to start reloading on my short barrel .308. Bergara Premier Approach with the barrel cut down to 16.5". I'm targeting the Barnes 130gr TTSX. Game is going to be whitetails in south MS inside 300 yds. I've done some searching on the forum but wanted to see what some people were doing with short barrels and if anyone had any particular pet recipes for that bullet. I know a lot of guys are keen on varget which might be where I start but it'd be nice if I could avoid buying a bunch of different powders trying to find the right one.

For what it's worth the factory Barnes 130gr ammo shot at right about an inch so I think the barrel likes them.

Any input I'd appreciated!

I've had best luck for speed with Ramshot TAC using 130g Barns TTSX and 124g Hammer Hunters. Both sub-moa with Kimber 84m Hunter, 22" barrel, 1:10 twist. I hit near 3,200fps with both but this is where I found best accuracy. I trust both of these loads out to 400 yards on our Coastal Blacktails and large hogs no problem. I'll soon be playing with .30 cal McGuire Ballistics " Copper Rose" bullets…

130 TTSX
Starline small primer brass
CCI 400 primers
47.6g TAC
3,142fps

124g Hammer Hunter
Starline small primer brass
CCI 400 primers
46.6g TAC
3,115fps

For sure start low and look for pressure, every set-up is different.

My 18" Ruger America 308 truck gun shoots the 168 A-Max very well with Varget. 2550 fps. I am losing about 100 fps on barrel length.

Attachments

• IMG_4327.jpeg
    IMG_4327.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Another powder you can try is h335. It's been easy to find as of late. The problem with the 130 TTSX in .308, many powders are heavily compressed. Varget being one of them. You can also look at the BARNES load data online for some ideas. Again, I'd stick with the faster burning powders with your short barrel.

That will make a great projectile and load for your rifle and hunting application.

Good luck!

IMR or H 4895 powder. Look at Hodgdon Pistol Loads for 15" barrels. As said above.

Slower powders will still produce the higher velocities, but will have more unburnt powder exiting the muzzle.

TAC listed as best powder?

Screenshot_20240226-094748_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20240226-100218_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
I run 16.5" barrels due to suppressors attached.
Not sure of my velocity at the moment but 3031 has been great for me with the 130 ttsx's
The only downfall is if your shooting without a suppressor be prepared for a fireball.
A BIG fireball.

I guess I should have stated that I will be running a suppressor. That's why I've got the barrel so short.

IMR or H 4895 powder. Look at Hodgdon Pistol Loads for 15" barrels. As said above.

Slower powders will still produce the higher velocities, but will have more unburnt powder exiting the muzzle.

TAC listed as best powder?

View attachment 547788

View attachment 547794

I looked at their data and saw that they listed TAC as the recommended powder. Correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to remember reading somewhere on here that TAC can have some issues with temp stability. I guess that'd be my only concern seeing as how through the course of a season down here I might be hunting at 90 degrees or 25 degrees.

I also did check the pistol reloading data on the Hodgdon website to see what their data on a 15" barrel looked like but there's still about 10 different options on powders.

I guess that's where I'm stuck a little bit. I've looked at a bunch of manufactures recommended loads but there's always a bunch of different powders to choose from and I'll not sure where to start. If I already had some powder on hand o could see trying those first but I'm starting from scratch and there's a lot of options.

Appreciate all the help so far everyone.