Start load and Bullet for .308 Win

scsims

Hello, I am new to reloading for the 308 and was hoping some seasoned 308 shooters could provide the most used bullet and powder for a 1 in 12" twist Remington 700.

Hard to beat 44-46 grains of Varget with a 168 Hornady AMAX or Sierra Matchking, overall length that works for me is 2.830".
Also try 44-45 grains of Varget with the 175 Sierra Matchking, same OL.

Good luck, hope you find an accurate load.

That is pretty much my load too.......44 grains of Varget with a 168 grain Hornady A-MAX or BTHP bullet with an OAL of 2.800". This replicates the Horandy 168 gr. TAP .308 ammo perfectly.

On the off chance that Varget either doesn't work for you (I'd be shocked) or isn't readily available in your area... 43-44gr of RE-15 behind a 175gr SMK seated to magazine length (2.800") works very well out of a lot of rifles. Similar loads exist with IMR4064 & IMR4895. Any good load manual should get you going in no time.

I don't think anyone has used a .308 Winchester in BR matches (group) for decades. Lord only knows what they used back then. Even Hunter BR (score) shooters rarely use a .308, and when they do, it's usually with very light (130-ish gr) projectiles in a very slow twist relative to what most common .308s use - so the results don't exactly relate to anything you might have handy.

That said... AA2520 used to get used by some folks in the .308 when the M1A was still popular for High Power Rifle matches... like a decade or so ago. Pluses were that it meters very well, being a fine ball powder. Minuses include being a ball powder and somewhat temp sensitive as a result, and from what I've heard, massive variations between lots, as people have reported finding 8# jugs of 2520 manufactured in several different countries. Not first hand information, so take it for what its worth.

Will it work? Sure. Would it be my first choice? No. Varget or RE-15 would fill that slot. If I were inclined towards a ball powder, Ramshot TAC does pretty well for some.

Another vote for Varget and any of the Hornady match bullets. So far the most accurate load in my .308 is the 168gr A-max set at a COL of 2.825 over a charge of 44gr. It will shoot 1/2 MOA all day long.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.