308 win and 195ELDM load data

Wachsmann

Anyone running any of these in there 308? Anyone have load data? Will be trying to see how fast and accurate I can get these going from a 26 inch 308.

Well here we go. Some may find this boring but over the last 2 years the only caliber that I seen on the shelf consistently was 308 Win. I know; boring. Not a good long range rig, slow, and not a lot of energy. Well I kept coming back to this with my limited experience the rifle I had before, marlin 26 inch barrel seem to produce above posted velocities with any load I shot. So I bought another 308Win in 26 inch barrel with a 1/10 twist. So I got to the range today to sight it in and break in the barrel. Cleaning, after 2 to 3 shoots and zeroing the scope. Next I decided to get a little velocity data on some reloads which I want to try out. I was hoping for a maximum or 2600fps with a 200grain bullet with high BC. So far with what I have, I got the 195ELDM. I'm running CFE223 powder Hornady brass and fed210 match primers. Seating at 2.820 inches for easy feed in the mag. Well my lowest loads produced 2590fps. My mid loads are running 26225fps and I think I found a flat spot at 2645fps. I was really impressed. So with the data I think I might be able to push a 210 Berger or a 210 LRAB at 2600fps. With that velocity it will most likely yield 1000ft/lbs at 1000. So good enough for deer at 1000 and elk about 700 to 800. Pretty impressive from the little 308win. Load data was generated from estimation of Hodgins load data and Lee reloading data. Just to add I will be also eventually putting a break on this rifle. Probably a tuner break. I'm also tossing around the ideal of making a video of the who process. Its a Howa with a heavy 26 inch 1/10 twist barrel and Hogue stock..

Last edited:
Well here we go. Some may find this boring but over the last 2 years the only caliber that I seen on the shelf consistently was 308 Win. I know; boring. Not a good long range rig, slow, and not a lot of energy. Well I kept coming back to this with my limited experience the rifle I had before, marlin 26 inch barrel seem to produce above posted velocities with any load I shot. So I bought another 308Win in 26 inch barrel with a 1/10 twist. So I got to the range today to sight it in and break in the barrel. Cleaning, after 2 to 3 shoots and zeroing the scope. Next I decided to get a little velocity data on some reloads which I want to try out. I was hoping for a maximum or 2600fps with a 200grain bullet with high BC. So far with what I have, I got the 195ELDM. I'm running CFE223 powder Hornady brass and fed210 match primers. Seating at 2.820 inches for easy feed in the mag. Well my lowest loads produced 2590fps. My mid loads are running 26225fps and I think I found a flat spot at 2645fps. I was really impressed. So with the data I think I might be able to push a 210 Berger or a 210 LRAB at 2600fps. With that velocity it will most likely yield 1000ft/lbs at 1000. So good enough for deer at 1000 and elk about 700 to 800. Pretty impressive from the little 308win. Load data was generated from estimation of Hodgins load data and Lee reloading data. Just to add I will be also eventually putting a break on this rifle. Probably a tuner break. I'm also tossing around the ideal of making a video of the who process. Its a Howa with a heavy 26 inch 1/10 twist barrel and Hogue stock..
Montana Marine used RL17 in a 20 inch 308 win. I think he used a 208 AMAX. I've been playing with the idea of trying Big Game with a 195 ELDM. But my PSS has a twist rate of 1-12". I think 185 Jugs is pushing it.

I do wish I would of held own to that Marlin since it was a stainless rifle but I would of been in the same boat with a 1/12 or 1/11 twist. I was specifically looking for a 1/10 this go around for the purpose of what I'm trying to do. If this proves out completely fruitful then I may do some hunting with it also. Down side is the rifle weighs 12 pounds scoped so not the best rifle to pack and it feel heavier than my sendero. Looking at ballistic if I can find some 212 hornady's then that would also be a interesting load work up. I have 2 more higher powder charges to shoot to see where these will reach. Then it will be working on a accuracy spot.

I have a load with my 20" barrel and the 215 Berger. Reloder 16 Loaded long gets me to 2493 fps.
215s with CFE223 was able to get to 2439 fps but it was very meh...Had an older 24" barrel that could do 2490 ish with H4350. I have tried to steer away from the temp sensitive when possible, but now its shoot what you can get...
Add 125fps or so for you 26incher and you should be in the ball park. The 205 Bergers have been in stock, that may be worth a try in it also. I need to pick up some too. Also the 200.20x factory shot well and was in the 2475 fps in this rifle. Handloads would easily be 2500+ with fireformed cases.

Tried Rl16 with the 190s and it would not get to pressure.

If serious about getting the most out of them, you may want to look into a longer mag ( I had a Baney box installed) or single feed. I wanted to magazine and all DBM set ups only let me get to around 2.95 ish. Now I can get the 215s into the lands and still load four down...

Last edited:
I used to use the 195tmk in my 308, had a 11.25 twist, but it worked well, accuracy was incredible and would shoot into subsonic, I shot it well to 1500 yards many times, I used 41gr of varget, it was slow but consistent.

Still haven't got out to test all the loads I made up. With my lowest starting charge {about mid way on the specified charge range} I have broken 2600fps actually like 2605 2608 2615. I still have about 3 more charge weights to shoot. I think just looking at my velocity hitting a flat spot it may be 2645ish on about 3 different charge weights. Having the magneto speed attached has made groups suffer and I was shooting from a different shooting rest I have never shot from so it just did not fit what I usually do but it gave me some data. I have a box of 210 Berger's and some 210 LRAB that I can try also. I have not seen any 215 any where for some time now. But the 1/10 twist should stabilize them if I find them. I also will be adding a EC brake/tuner to the mix once I get a good load running for some more added fun hoping decreasing the group size even more. And if it all comes together then I think you could make a good solid argument that a 308 can be used for some long range killing. Like 1000yrd killing especially with the 215's. Enough energy to do damage and pack a little punch. Also when time are scares you have the one case that I seen always on the shelves. Just have to have you on components. Powder, bullets, primers. But I kept seeing 308 brass.