308 Win and 185 Berger VLD load data.

Ive been running the 175 vlds in my 308 Win. with great sucess. Win. brass , CCI Br2 primers and IMR 8208 powder. In my stock Rem. they are jumping a mile but they are liking it. :)

Been trying to find some load data for this combo with no luck. Anyone have any load data? Thanks Moose

Let me start by saying....loads shared on the internet are used at the loaders discression. I load this bullet for my rifle and a friend that has a twin to my rifle. We both have a BVSS with a 30" McGowen 1:10" twist barrel. Our rifles really like a combination of .308 Win. Nosler Custom Brass, Federal 210 primer, Varget 43.5 gr. charge and Berger 185 gr. vld/hunting bullet. This combo has yielded velocities @ 2860 fps and groups in the 1/4" 5 shot grouping. Didn't get to try this on live game....but it should be awesome! YMMV....use internet data at your caution........My next roud will be using a 180 gr. Lapua Scenar bullet.

Good Luck,

Wayne

Let me start by saying....loads shared on the internet are used at the loaders discression. I load this bullet for my rifle and a friend that has a twin to my rifle. We both have a BVSS with a 30" McGowen 1:10" twist barrel. Our rifles really like a combination of .308 Win. Nosler Custom Brass, Federal 210 primer, Varget 43.5 gr. charge and Berger 185 gr. vld/hunting bullet. This combo has yielded velocities @ 2860 fps and groups in the 1/4" 5 shot grouping. Didn't get to try this on live game....but it should be awesome! YMMV....use internet data at your caution........My next roud will be using a 180 gr. Lapua Scenar bullet.

Good Luck,

Wayne
Thank you Senderofan thats what I was looking for.

A freind was using 43gns of Varhet yesterday with good accuraccy at 800yds and no pressure sign. That was his first time using these bullets and will be trying more loads.

A freind was using 43gns of Varhet yesterday with good accuraccy at 800yds and no pressure sign. That was his first time using these bullets and will be trying more loads.

Great to hear....I hesitate to post my recipe....because of the importance of working up a load for each rifle and powder lot. But I've had really good luck with this powder and bullet combo in my rig.

I think I'm going to try RL 15 next....the Varget seemed to be a little unpredictable in the heat of summer...never was an issue in spring or fall. ES seemed to double when it was 90+ degrees out.

Wayne

When .308's were the king of high power rifle competition, folks used 42 grains of IMR4064 under Berger's 185 VLD.

I watched an interesting comparison between Berger's 185 VLD and Sierra's 190 HPMK shot in the same barrel at identical muzzle velocities. Chronograph screens were placed 10 feet apart in front of the rifle and another pair at 997 yards down range in front of a 1000 yard target. Conventional chrono screens were at 15 feet but two aluminum foil coated 1/4th inch foam sheets spaced at 10 feet were down range and wired to the chrono in the pits. They measured the bullet's speed quite well.

Both bullets left about 2585 fps from the 26 inch barrel. Down range, the Berger was traveling about 60 fps slower than the Sierra which went through the down range screens at about 1320 fps. Makes one wonder just how "very low" drag the Berger had. Maybe the Sierra 190 HPMK should be called an "extremely low drag" bullet as it obviously had a higher BC than the Berger.

Senderofan, whats the coal on that?

In my current chamber...it's 2.960". This rifle is set up as a single shot...can't use the magazine. In a rifle that I set up for my father...with the same twist rate...I'm running them @ 2.82" and decreased the powder to 43.0 gr...with very good results.

Wayne

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.