New to reloading

Do your research on the equipment, or you wish you knew now, what you didn't know before. Think about what level you want to often in reloading, because you can spent some money or a lot of money, but you don't want to due it twice or three times. I still use a single stage press, and always have. I did change out to a rock chucker a great many years ago. Your scale, annealing, and dies are some of the biggest item. Case trimming. Dam to many things to mention.

Forster Co Ax is one of the best single stage presses. Other brands have copied their design. I went thru several brands in "upgrading" my equipment and ultimately landed on the CoAx and never had the itch to upgrade again.

As the title states I am new to reloading. Actually just getting into it. I am shopping for a press now. I like the simplicity of a single stage and will probably go through every step with a couple hundred cases at a time. I feel like I can pay attention to detail a little better this way. Am I wrong? Any tips? Any suggestions on which press to get and why? I was looking at the Lee breech lock but if it's junk I am open to suggestions. I mainly hunt and punch paper a few times a year but looking to shoot more. No competing or anything.
I don't shoot high volume and like to take my time and relax when I reload so the RCBS Rock Chucker press and accessories that I've been using for years works perfectly fine. My brother on the other hand prefers and has a couple Dillon rotary presses. Each to their own.
I live alone and have an extra basement bedroom that I keep my safe and reloading equipment in. I only keep the powder and primers I'm using at the moment in the room and for safety reasons store the bulk of my primers, powder, and ammo in a couple locked cabinets locked to the floor of an enclosed back porch so in case of a fire I can move them away from the house.
One thing I did add to my equipment a few years ago is a 10lbs rock tumbler that I use along with stainless steel pins to clean my brass. Tumbling the brass with the pins gives much better results than anything else I've used especially if I first deprime the shells so that the primer pockets also get cleaned.
At the moment reloading components, especially primers, are difficult to find but I've been buying and stashing what I need for years and am in pretty good shape compared to a lot of other folks.
Ride Safe. Dr.Tramp.....
PS: I also have three MEC presses for 12, 20, and 410 shotgun reloading. I don't know about now but when I bought them it was cheaper and easier to just get different presses than swapping dies.

Last edited:
Redding Ultramag single stage press will last you several lifetimes, will load even the big magnums with few exceptions. Pricey but. IMO worth every penny.

As the title states I am new to reloading. Actually just getting into it. I am shopping for a press now. I like the simplicity of a single stage and will probably go through every step with a couple hundred cases at a time. I feel like I can pay attention to detail a little better this way. Am I wrong? Any tips? Any suggestions on which press to get and why? I was looking at the Lee breech lock but if it's junk I am open to suggestions. I mainly hunt and punch paper a few times a year but looking to shoot more. No competing or anything.
You can buy a RCBS complete kit to get you going...Rock Chucker will out last you and your grandchildren! Great kits!

I got the Lyman all American 8 in the $400 set because after researching all the included components I found that that was the least likely set that I would have to imediatley replace one of the components and I wanted to leave my dies "set"
IMG_20210204_203429708.jpg

I mostly use RCBS dies but have used and have a lot of brands. Since I started reloading in the 1960 period. I started with a Lyman press and moved to a RCBS A2 PRESS. I still use these. Most of the brands are good. Single stage is fine for everything I reload. Not the fastest but will reload everything I have come across. I highly recommend single stage. Good look on making your choices.

Ok thanks. So would you recommend buy just the press and other items separately? I was looking at the kit but I know usually with kits some of the accessories aren't high quality.
Get what you want the first time buy once cry once presses go from cheap to crazy I personally have a redding Ulti mag but if you do not load for large calipers you do not need the ultra mag but I do like Redding presses RCBS rock chucker is another classic Also look at the Redding T7 turret press

Get what you want the first time buy once cry once presses go from cheap to crazy I personally have a redding Ulti mag but if you do not load for large calipers you do not need the ultra mag but I do like Redding presses RCBS rock chucker is another classic Also look at the Redding T7 turret press
+1 buy once, cry once or in my case love it all the time.

I like the concept of the T7 and Lyman 8 and leaving them set up. The Rockchucker looks to be very nice and stout as well

@FEENIX thanks for the video link. That was informative. I think since I mainly shoot rifle and want to fine tune some good loads for a couple of my rifles that I have definitely ruled out a progressive. I'm 50/50 on the single stage and the turret. I like the bullet proof nature of the single stage but the convenience of the turrets. Maybe I need one of each 🤣. Thanks for everyone's comments so far! I'm still researching so keep it coming.

You might start by purchasing a couple different reloading manuals. They explain the steps for reloading. Spend time on You Tube looking at instructional videos and videos comparing presses. Talk with some people who have been reloading for years, ask them for suggestions. Most equipment sold is good, will do the job and the excellence is in the techniques and care you take, not so much the tools you are using. Consider for what you will be reloading, rifles and/or pistols. If you really get "into" the program you can spend and spend and spend...because new stuff is always coming out that you can find essential. Considerations are the calibers and don't forget space for your equipment set-up. Good luck and enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.