New to reloading

I load rifle for hunting and a lot of pistol as in my younger days was involved in practical pistol competition. I have 2 Dillon 550 presses, one for rifle and one for pistol, a R.C.B.S. Chargemaster 1500 that have served me well for many years.

As the title states I am new to reloading. Actually just getting into it. I am shopping for a press now. I like the simplicity of a single stage and will probably go through every step with a couple hundred cases at a time. I feel like I can pay attention to detail a little better this way. Am I wrong? Any tips? Any suggestions on which press to get and why? I was looking at the Lee breech lock but if it's junk I am open to suggestions. I mainly hunt and punch paper a few times a year but looking to shoot more. No competing or anything.
It does not matter what you start with because you will end up with more than one press or go through multiple ones "if" you progress beyond your current goal.

Check out >>> https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/10-things-i-wish-i-knew-before-i-started-reloading.253837/

Last edited:
Hard to go wrong with any of the single stage presses since they aren't built on rocket science. That being said I run two RCBS Rockchukers. One I inherited from my grandfather and the other bought new. The older one is over 60 years old and still rock solid.

As said previously don't skimp on the powder station. Charge master or charge master lite are great options.

The Fx120 from AnD with all the goodies is top notch as well as the Prometheus but these aren't necessary for great ammo.

As the title states I am new to reloading. Actually just getting into it. I am shopping for a press now. I like the simplicity of a single stage and will probably go through every step with a couple hundred cases at a time. I feel like I can pay attention to detail a little better this way. Am I wrong? Any tips? Any suggestions on which press to get and why? I was looking at the Lee breech lock but if it's junk I am open to suggestions. I mainly hunt and punch paper a few times a year but looking to shoot more. No competing or anything.
I started loading over 2 decades ago.
With a new house and 4 young children, Lee was all I could afford if I wanted to get everything I needed.
Over 20 years later and the only thing I've replaced was the powder dispenser.
Not a single component has let me down.
It's my winter hobby and based on what's going on right now, I'm glad I always keep plenty of everything in stock.
Can't even find powder or bullets right now.

@whhood : What are you reloading for...? I generally agree with the advice above, but what you're reloading for can make a difference. If you're not in a rush, take the time to read a decent book on reloading. You can pick up many tips. I liked Glen Zediker's "Top Grade Ammo," quirky, but an informative read. Richard Lee's book and McPherson are also good but for slightly different reasons. Lee components are inexpensive but really very good; in some cases, some of the best, so don't be afraid to buy their products. After that, the sky's the limit! Redding, Forster, Precision... you can spend a lot of money. Take the time to get a little educated first...

Sometimes it seems that wants vs needs that drive the reloading budget! I started with a Rockchucker Supreme I go tnew for less than one cost on eBay and it works perfectly for all my precision reloading needs. Yeah a Forster co-ax would be nice - but I don't need one. For volume reloading - pistol and such, I use a Lee turret press. I bought as I learned, so I have a few things I "outgrew" with experience, but no regrets as it was part of the learning process. Probably the hardest items to decide on are all the measuring tools. Get a GOOD caliper - I use a Mitutoyo with a Hornady backup. I use a quality beam balance scale to verify my powder loads even though I digitally measure and dispense it. I still check every tenth load to make sure nothing has drifted. One of my most important items is my reloading checklist. I document eveyrthing during every reloading session, and save them for future reference. It also grows as I learn more, or add more steps to refine what I am reloading for. And if I ave to stop mid-session before finishing, I know right where I was and where to pick up from. Bottom line to me - don't be in a hurry and have fun!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...s-C1331.aspx&usg=AOvVaw3h27EtVsKPvt6a-xJSczjz

When I started I bought a Hornady Classic press kit. I have used it for years and been happy with it, it came with powder dispenser, scale, handbook and sever other tools. One advantage - when you buy a major item like that from Hornady, you qualify for 500 free bullets, things like dies you qualify for 100 free bullets. They do have a list of about a dozen or so to pick from. I have bought just about all my dies from them and saved a bunch of money on bullets. Problem is I am running out of dies I need since I have bought so many different caliber guns in the last couple years. I also bought a Hornady Iron Press, it's a beast and great for seating consistently.

I'm still loading on the RCBS JR that I got 47 years ago. Any name brand quality press will work great and last a long time if you keep it clean. I prefer the enclosed spent primer system of my Lee Classic Cast but there are a lot of good single stage presses out there.

I'm a new reloader as well and got a Co-ax based on recommendations and it's strictly for precision loads. I couldn't be any happier..my 2 buddies have rockchuckers a d make great ammo on them, but both have played with my Coax and wish they had bought that instead....

I'm a fan of RCBS and Redding with presses and die sets. I have a Rock Chucker. Any caliper will do. Scales and powder thrower I have 2 electronic an old Pact and a new Gen6 Lyman as well as an Oahus 10-10 balance beam. For loading trays I like the Lyman bleacher blocks and there modular funnel set. Case trimmers any of them. Prep stations again any of them. And by all means a sturdy bench and storage area and that will open up a whole new chat with us.

I'm a fan of RCBS and Redding with presses and die sets. I have a Rock Chucker. Any caliper will do. Scales and powder thrower I have 2 electronic an old Pact and a new Gen6 Lyman as well as an Oahus 10-10 balance beam. For loading trays I like the Lyman bleacher blocks and there modular funnel set. Case trimmers any of them. Prep stations again any of them. And by all means a sturdy bench and storage area and that will open up a whole new chat with us.

Attachments

• 171A568C-AEA4-4E4D-988F-35113CAFE98F.jpeg
    171A568C-AEA4-4E4D-988F-35113CAFE98F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 181
  • C27175DD-FA80-49E2-BD19-DD93DF80B2F1.jpeg
    C27175DD-FA80-49E2-BD19-DD93DF80B2F1.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 145
We all find our favorites after you load a while, as your outlook and ability changes so will some equipment. I have tools I bought many years ago and still use and others I've replaced with better along the way. I favor single stages and started like so many others with a rockchucker, it was OK as a starter but the mec marksman - rcbs summit - and forster co ax are all a better bet to start with. Start with forster benchrest or redding dies and learn from there. Good Luck and enjoy a fun new hobby (obsession) not to mention better accuracy..........

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.