New to reloading

If you are 100 percent serious figure out a couple different bullet manufacturers that you want to try and get their load manuals . Read those bad boys from front to back a time or two . Then read them once more just to be sure you understand what you're about to do . Then start gathering equipment. And may I suggest rcbs!

Interested in reloading, but don't know what equipment I should purchased. Any advice from those who reload.
Id suggest you use the search tab.

There is already a **** load of info in here on the same subject that you can pick throught & your going to get the same answers thats in the others!!

One other note...open your wallet, look at the cash, and realize your wallet will never be that full again once you start reloading.
True. 'Cuz you will shoot more and more in addition to the investment in reloading gear.
With today's availability of supplies, powder, primer and bullets -- let alone gear, it's not "what to buy" but "what can I find?"
Your user name suggests welding is your work. Are you mechanically inclined, even better if gifted, or 'just a welder'. No offense meant - I've met some welders who are gifted with stick and tig, but useless in simple mechanics.
I'll presume you have skillz as far as mechanical things.
So, you don't say what you intend to reload for.... What your gear budget is like.... Or how much you currently shoot.
If you shoot 0-200 rounds per month, stay with single stage. KISS
Over 200 and you'll start to feel the single stage holding you back, unless it's rifle cartridges of 308 size or larger.
If it's AR15 calibers and pistol, you'll want to get a progressive press.
Dunno about you, but I learn more doing than reading. Jump off the cliff and learn with gusto.
Budget: Most anything you buy will hold most its value. If you buy Dillon, it will hold all of its value.

Bare minimum that you'll need:
  • Press
  • Calipers
  • Scale
  • Primer tool (if one is not on the press)
  • Case prep tools (flash hole cleaner, case mouth debur, etc.)
  • Dies for the cartridges you shoot.

The above mentioned books come in handy for the items above.

Brands:
  • Lee : People will say Lee is crap. They are biased. You get what you pay for, but you *can* produce spectacular ammo on Lee products. Your method makes all the difference.
  • Hornady / Lyman / RCBS : Solid stuff, will work well.
  • Redding : Top tier stuff.
  • Dillon : Pricey, and again, you get what you pay for. The cat's meow as far as presses.
Again, I say, jump. Now.
It's a bit of a rabbit hole. However, if Biden/Harris win, you'll want to reload. I'll bet they'll tinker with the ammo supply stream like Obummer did (i.e. choke it off).

If you go Single stage press, buy either a Forster CO-AX or the Frankford Arsenal M Press which is a CO-AX as well. If you go Turret style, Redding T7 or Lyman 8 hole Turret. The Press you purchase will last you a lifetime, so buy once cry once. I like Redding dies and the Forster dies, if you purchase one of the CO-AX presses you will not need a shell holder, one of the benefits with those. For Powder dispenser, again buy once and cry once, I would look at the RCBS Chargemaster, you can look at all of them and see the ratings given on them from owners, the one thing about digital, sometimes they will drift, I use a balance beam scale to verify mine. Right now you are going to have a hard time finding any primers in stock, not sure when they will be back in stock, especially if this election goes to the demonrats..

RCBS has good videos, I never cared for the ABC's of reloading. This is a digital age, make use of videos - they are faster than reading and more descriptive. This guy used to have a lot of loading videos and he did some long range shooting:

Go on line and download and read the RCBS's Reloading information. Have fun , good luck. And remember - getting into reloading is a lot like getting a boat, whick is also known an "a large hole in the water you keep throwing you money into, but you enjoy it anyway."

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.