New to reloading

Just adding my .02 cents worth. Dont rush. Research. Learn right ,from a mentor ,or well known websight .
I've found reloading to be a very rewarding hobby .
But covid and election has made supply and demand issues. Powder and primers are hazzmat if ordering online. Extra fee$ for shipping.
Look at used tools can help keep costs down
Best of luck

I like these reloading channels on YouTube:

Ultimate Reloader (Gavin):

Panhandle Precision:

I'm a visual learner. The reloading manuals are great. I get more out of them AFTER I've seen something live or YouTube.

Echoing others:
  • Reloading hasn't saved me any money
    • I do get better ammo by reloading
  • Buy a Forster Co-Ax press (Rock Chucker works great too)
  • Components (primers, powder, brass, and bullets) are really hard to find for a lot of us. It seems in some parts of the country, it isn't an issue.
  • Buying powder online has hazmat fee's + shipping fee's but I find it's still cheaper then I can get local, as long as I order a few pounds (usually, not always). The average price per pound is better online.

I'd say buy at least two if not three reloading manuals, and read them before you purchase anything! When I say read them I mean from cover to cover, even checking out the load data, powders, powder charges for the various rounds, especially load data on the cartridges that you want to reload for. I totally recommend buying a quality "single-stage", "O" press, I have an RCBS Supreme, you probably will get more opinions on the thread. I had an RCBS Rockchucker press for at least 25 years before I bought the Supreme, I retired the Rockchucker because I wanted a new press there was nothing wrong with it. I recommend a single stage "O" press because you will not find anything much better than an "O" press for making accurate loads, and....it will reload just about any cartridge you would want to reload. I prefer a "single" stage press instead of a multi stage press as a beginner because it is quite easy to make one mistake with an "O" press, with a progressive press, like a Dillon, you can turn out a lot of mistakes in a very short period of time before you figure out that you have a major problem; pulling loaded mistakes is a real PITA!! I recommend that you purchase some quality, off the shelf dies, unless you have a large budget to play with. If you are just starting out, probably will not have to pay $200-300+ for your dies. You will need a quality powder measure, there's a few electronic ones on the market today, a case trimmer, a set of dial calipers, lube, case tumbler (pin or media), powder, bullets, inertia bullet pulller (hopefully won't need, but...), oh.......did I mention two or three "well" read reloading manuals. This ought to get you started, trust me it will not end here as it is a never ending, very rewarding hobby.

Before you purchase the items that I have listed, I strongly suggest that you go back to the search bar on the forum and do a search for threads on all of the items listed. By doing this you will get an idea about the products you are buying, what others think of those products and what others are using or suggesting to use. If at all possible try to find a mentor in your area who would not mind helping you get started. A mentor can be there to guide you through simple steps that may take you a very long time to figure out, and to answer any questions you may have. A mentor is sort of like an "in person" option to what you are doing on this thread. Keep asking questions that is a good way to start learning. And.....remember there is no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers!!
what is an "O: press -never heard the term before. Thx.

If you have any misgivings at all, and if you can't find used eguipment, buy the beginner Lee press. If you are really serious, buy the Dillon 550. I bought a used RCBS Rockchucker for less than $30.00. (I already have one, but I wanted another one for case trimming. I modified it for Hornady Lock N Load dies so I won't have to adjust the Dillon trim dies every time.) I also had a chance to buy a used RCBS Junior press for $20.00, but I just couldn't justify it. If you aren't going to do major case forming, you can get by with a cheaper press. I would how ever get an (O) press as opposed to a (C) press because the (O) press will not have any "give" and could get more consistent resizing. I'm biased toward RCBS and Dillon presses, so I've never had experience with other current manufacturers and I have no doubt that they would give you good service. My first press was a (C) style Bair that I got in 1974. I found out quickly that it was definately designed for case forming. I fixed it, sold it and bought a Rock Chucker. You might consider a Hornady press for their Lock N Load feature. You can set them up once and never have to adjust them again except for may be adjusting bullet seating depth. Also, you'll appreciate quality equipment if do a lot of reloading. BTW, I have three Dillons and two Rock Chuckers and 50+ reloading and case forming die sets. A vital piece of equipment you will need is a case trimmer. The case will stretch every time it is fired and resized. Eventually it may get too long and it will jam into the throat and it will be hard to chamber and will elevate pressures. Previous people have given you excellent advice. Do some investigating and try to find a mentor to help you get started. Also, components are hard to find right now because of current domestic conditions. Most sporting goods shelves are bare, so surf the Internet to order components. You will have to pay a Hazmat fee so try to find a partner to order with to share shipping costs.
What is a "C" press - never heard that term before. Thx.

AS I look everywhere on line - a Forster co-ax is about impossible to fined! Most sites have them back ordered without a receipt or ship date. Seem harder to find than powder , bullets or primers!

I had seen one location mentioned 12/15 as the date they expect it onsite. You can find the Frankford Arsenal M Press in stock, I have one and like it.

what is an "O: press -never heard the term before. Thx.

There's and "O" press and a "C" press. For an "O" press the frame of the press is shaped in an "O"; take a look at the RCBS Supreme press, that is an "O" press. The same for a "C" press, the frame of the press is configured in the shape of the letter "C" as in the Lyman Brass Smith Ideal. Some opinions will differ here, but....I'll take a chance and say that the "O" press is significantly stronger than the "C" press due to its construction. With an "O" press there less likelihood for spring when reloading larger, longer cases than a "C" press. There also is the turret press that usually is a "C" press with a turret that turns with the reloading dies in the turret/plate. There's a number of presses out there, that is the reason for reading two or three reloading manuals, and for finding a mentor to help through a lot of these types of questions.

There's and "O" press and a "C" press. For an "O" press the frame of the press is shaped in an "O"; take a look at the RCBS Supreme press, that is an "O" press. The same for a "C" press, the frame of the press is configured in the shape of the letter "C" as in the Lyman Brass Smith Ideal. Some opinions will differ here, but....I'll take a chance and say that the "O" press is significantly stronger than the "C" press due to its construction. With an "O" press there less likelihood for spring when reloading larger, longer cases than a "C" press. There also is the turret press that usually is a "C" press with a turret that turns with the reloading dies in the turret/plate. There's a number of presses out there, that is the reason for reading two or three reloading manuals, and for finding a mentor to help through a lot of these types of questions.
THANKS for clearing that up. Makes sense.

I appreciate it - always trying to learn! As I tell my kids: "If you never ask the questoin - you will never get the answer. BUT remember - dont' ask a question you don't want to hear the answer to. And then - spend the rest of your life trying figure out which is which.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.