New to reloading question.

Hi guys just looking some advice. I am slowly getting into reloading for my 308. Guidelines in lee reloading manual min 43 - 47 max gr . I loaded around 100 between the guidelines and think I was grouping good at 47grs. I haven't shot in awhile, I am using 165 hornady gr gmx. I have around 50 rounds loaded at the max 47 gr maximum guideline. Is this OK? Or should I have kept a little below it? I've probably been reading to much different opinions on this on the web and now I'm a bit concerned I shouldn't have loaded at the maximum figure incase its not safe.
Any help from someone with experience would be great thanks. The rifle I am using is a Remington 700 varmint.
Maybe it's a stupid question I've asked but I've limited knowledge of reloading and want to keep everything safe.
Most load recipes in manuals today err on the safe side with Max loadings,that being said you should be all right . You never stated what bullet you were using with the BL c2 powder charge. Having used that powder in my 308 and my 30-06 I am familiar with it sounds like a 150 gr bullet load to me. Unless you know the gun and bullet combo just jumping into a load because it has the greatest F.P.S is counterproductive to why we reload, making the most accurate ammo for the gun is usually the goal and is a process usually done in 1/2 grain implements from start to Max to find your best load aka smallest group with those components. Then you can try different primers cases etc to see if you can shrink groups even more you can also play with the overall length to see what effect that has as you can set your own lead gap before the bullet engages the rifling.so much room for experimentation and learning to just go to the max load is not showing you your gun and load true potential.

The Maximum load which you are using is safe. You haven't exceeded published maximum loads.
The saying 'all else being equal' applies here. Once the brass isn't exhibiting pressure signs all is good.
Once you show some of the guys here your photos of the case heads. Rest easy, I predict that all is going to be fine, as mentioned as Collet type Bullet puller is far better than that kinetic hammer you were sold.

Never?
You meant to say never rely on the books right? Hornady 175ELD-X in a 7 mag with H1000... "book" says max is 60.4 grains. I found first pressure signs at 71.4. I load at 68.9 for a mild, accurate load.
To the OP, get Quickload. The manuals are useless today due to liability.
More of an implied comment regarding safety UNTIL he has more experience and knows what pressure signs look like. I do in fact load above max requirements for a couple of my rifles, however I know what to look for in the process of getting to that point.

This is the book the guy sold me and gave me the 47 maximum
View attachment 151015
I have both editions of that Lee manual. I use its recipes all the time, generally in conjunction with the Lyman and Hodgden manuals. Lee does a lot of their own research on load data, and is pretty accurate. As to being too conservative, they publish the pressure data, and its 59,208psi average with a 47.5 max load for the (generic) 165 grain bullet. The SAAMI MAP is listed as 60,191psi. When the pressure data is published, that's a good indicator of how close they are to absolute max charges. Keep in mind that the data is for the generic 165 grain bullet, though. I saw that you had worked up from lower charges, and if you're not seeing signs of pressure, you're almost certainly ok with your charge. Just watch for pressure when Summer gets there again, because outside temperature has an effect on pressure.

Hi guys just looking some advice. I am slowly getting into reloading for my 308. Guidelines in lee reloading manual min 43 - 47 max gr . I loaded around 100 between the guidelines and think I was grouping good at 47grs. I haven't shot in awhile, I am using 165 hornady gr gmx. I have around 50 rounds loaded at the max 47 gr maximum guideline. Is this OK? Or should I have kept a little below it? I've probably been reading to much different opinions on this on the web and now I'm a bit concerned I shouldn't have loaded at the maximum figure incase its not safe.
Any help from someone with experience would be great thanks. The rifle I am using is a Remington 700 varmint.
Maybe it's a stupid question I've asked but I've limited knowledge of reloading and want to keep everything safe.
Hi Lenny here , I am loading a 100 Yard SCORE SHOOTING target load in my .308. I am having very good success with 115 Grain Berger Flat Base Target bullets , Matched Win BrassCases, 40.0 grans of 3031 , with Win LR primers,OGIVE is 10/1000 off tye the lands and grooves. This laod would also make a nice Wood Chuck, Coyotte load.

Not sure about that Lee manual but most manuals start out with the first half about the "How Too's" and the whole process of loading. If you skipped that part I suggest you start at the beginning. You might come out OK but you never load that many loads of the MAX without first looking for pressure signs. This should be explained in the first few hundred pages of the manual. I would suggest the Sierra Sixth edition. It was published this Spring and is the most up to date manual that I have seen yet. It has the newest list of cartridges and powders.
Lee and Speer both have extensive sections on how to reload and on pressure signs and pressure effects.

Hi Lenny here , I am loading a 100 Yard SCORE SHOOTING target load in my .308. I am having very good success with 115 Grain Berger Flat Base Target bullets , Closely Matched Win Brass Cases, 40.0 grans of 3031 , with Win LR primers,OGIVE is 10/1000 off the lands and grooves. Savage 110 Heavy Barrel rifle, shooting single shot . This load would also make a nice Wood Chuck, Coyote load. Hope this is helpfull

Attachments

• IMG_1698.JPG
    IMG_1698.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 84
Guys thanks for all the replies to my questions, I have begun to read though all these and I really do appreciate the help and time yous have spent to help me. I need to get a good read through them. I've already picked up a few very important pointers. I've still got more questions on the loading equipment the guy sold me, I know I need better advice if I should upgrade or change a few bits. 'I'll be back'

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.