New to reloading question.

I have both the collet bullet pullet and the hammer and honestly I prefer the hammer. Sometimes the collet puller marks the bullet. The hammer doesn't. Now the hammer is a little messier as it dumps both the bullet and the powder inside the containment of the hammer. But all you do is pour the powder and bullet into a plastic bowl and go on to the next cartridge.
I can't recall how many bullets I've pulled with my hammer.
I have both types and agree with Clem. No marks on the bullets with kinetic.

I have both the collet bullet pullet and the hammer and honestly I prefer the hammer. Sometimes the collet puller marks the bullet. The hammer doesn't. Now the hammer is a little messier as it dumps both the bullet and the powder inside the containment of the hammer. But all you do is pour the powder and bullet into a plastic bowl and go on to the next cartridge.
TAGGING IN- Now do you reuse the powder? Or do you file it in the round file cabinet?

Yes i did read the book and then worked my way up. Probably loaded around 100 rounds. My main fault/problem has been very poor record keeping and probably not enough experience to understand pressure signs. Where I've hit my problem I had been working away overseas and hadn't been loading for near 12 months now and then came back and started up again. I had 12 rounds loaded stored from previous at very start which I then found 47 written marked on the brass with a black marker. Foolishly I have presumed this is the load I had settled on when first started loading over 12 months ago. But the thing is I can't remember and have no idea why I wrote 47 on the brass. In hindsight now your right I have loaded to many without being sure. I should have started from scratch again and then been safe and sure, i have made the wrong decision .
If it were me i think i would just unload what you are not sure of. I have seen first hand a few rifles explode and thankfuly no one got hurt. But it is very scary.

Hi guys just looking some advice. I am slowly getting into reloading for my 308. Guidelines in lee reloading manual min 43 - 47 max gr . I loaded around 100 between the guidelines and think I was grouping good at 47grs. I haven't shot in awhile, I am using 165 hornady gr gmx. I have around 50 rounds loaded at the max 47 gr maximum guideline. Is this OK? Or should I have kept a little below it? I've probably been reading to much different opinions on this on the web and now I'm a bit concerned I shouldn't have loaded at the maximum figure incase its not safe.
Any help from someone with experience would be great thanks. The rifle I am using is a Remington 700 varmint.
Maybe it's a stupid question I've asked but I've limited knowledge of reloading and want to keep everything safe.

Since you didn't divulge which powder here are some suggestions from the Hogdon web site. Regardless what the reloading equipment books say compare against the powder manufacturers data. Sometimes the reloading equipment folks have a mis-print. Hogdon corrects their errors ASAP when an error is made. Oddly enough I found none of the powders listed at 47 grs.

Manufacturer
Powder
Bullet Diam.
C.O.L. C.O.L.: Cartridge Overall Length

Grs.
Vel. (ft/s) Velocity: The speed of the bullet in flight.
Pressure Pressure: The force exerted by burning powder measured in Copper Units of Pressure (CUP) or Pounds per Square Inch (PSI).

Grs. Grains: If the value is followed by a C, it denotes a compressed load.
Vel. (ft/s) Velocity: The speed of the bullet in flight.
Pressure Pressure: The force exerted by burning powder measured in Copper Units of Pressure (CUP) or Pounds per Square Inch (PSI).
165 GR. HDY SP
ManufacturerHodgdon
PowderH414
Bullet Diameter.308"
C.O.L.2.750"
Starting Load
Grains48.0
Velocity (ft/s)2,537
Pressure43,500 CUP
Maximum Load
Grains52.0
Velocity (ft/s)2,704
Pressure49,200 CUP
165 GR. HDY SP
ManufacturerHodgdon
PowderVarget
Bullet Diameter.308"
C.O.L.2.750"
Starting Load
Grains42.0
Velocity (ft/s)2,582
Pressure40,800 CUP
Maximum Load
Grains46.0C
Velocity (ft/s)2,773
Pressure50,500 CUP
Barrel Length: 24"
Case: Winchester
Primer: Federal 210M, Large Rifle Match
Trim Length: 2.005"
Twist: 1:12"
165 GR. HDY SP
ManufacturerIMR
PowderIMR 4064
Bullet Diameter.308"
C.O.L.2.750"
Starting Load
Grains42.0
Velocity (ft/s)2,554
Pressure47,700 PSI
Maximum Load
Grains46.3C
Velocity (ft/s)2,767
Pressure59,700 PSI
Barrel Length: 24"
Case: Winchester
Primer: Federal 210M, Large Rifle Match
Trim Length: 2.005"
Twist: 1:12"
165 GR. HDY SP
ManufacturerIMR
PowderIMR 4895
Bullet Diameter.308"
C.O.L.2.750"
Starting Load
Grains42.7
Velocity (ft/s)2,584
Pressure49,200 PSI
Maximum Load
Grains45.5C
Velocity (ft/s)2,745
Pressure58,800 PSI

kinetic pullers work... it's a bit hard to be careful with something that works as a hammer though... put a foam earplug in the catch end so you don't flatten your bullets if you must use it... and you will find times you must use it if you ever get into lead bullet shooting; you can't put a collet on a lead bullet and pull it... it WILL slip off
Yes I'v done exactly the same and it's still wasted effort, because plastic tipped bullets still get damaged and broken (Nosler Ballistic Tips back in the day). If it makes a ballistical issue or not, who knows, but it's still wasted effort.

Here's my process:
Make a dummy with no powder or primer
blacken with lighter
Chamber the dummy, extract , look for Lanes/groove marks
Lower seating die in .002 increments till marks disappear.
Lock seating die
Measure with Sinclair comparator

Use 3 sources for load data.
I have a Speer manual from 1970s, yellow one..
I also used a new Sierra manual and I also go online for the make and model of rifle and the caliber to see what's working for others.
Based on that data I will start with a mid-range load and make 7 rounds,
Then make 7 rounds of .5 grain more powder, until I'm 1 grain or half a grain below Max.
I shoot my experimentals with three minute intervals between shots I clean the rifle thoroughly and fowl it properly before starting the testing
Take the best group if it's not one whole with five shots take the best group and start seeding the bullet .002 (2 thousandths) deeper.
I'll usually make 4 of those different depths 5 rounds each somewhere in there will be one whole with five shots at a hundred yards

Hi guys just looking some advice. I am slowly getting into reloading for my 308. Guidelines in lee reloading manual min 43 - 47 max gr . I loaded around 100 between the guidelines and think I was grouping good at 47grs. I haven't shot in awhile, I am using 165 hornady gr gmx. I have around 50 rounds loaded at the max 47 gr maximum guideline. Is this OK? Or should I have kept a little below it? I've probably been reading to much different opinions on this on the web and now I'm a bit concerned I shouldn't have loaded at the maximum figure incase its not safe.
Any help from someone with experience would be great thanks. The rifle I am using is a Remington 700 varmint.
Maybe it's a stupid question I've asked but I've limited knowledge of reloading and want to keep everything safe.
Just so you know, with 308 I was using 47.5 grains of 748 powder with a 150 grain Sierra hollow point boat tail out of my Remington 788 18 and 1/2 inch barrel 308... 1 hole with five shots at a hundred yards

I use the RCBS Collets, for 4 calibers and have yet to mark up a bullet, they come in the condition they were seated. The RCBS collets are a touch pricey, because you have to get mostly caliber specific, but they work 100% and why risk ruining some of these bullets, that can get to be on the expensive side.

I have always found that subtracting 10% of the listed maximum load is a great starting load to work with. You can increase in 1/10 gr. increment's from there to find the most accurate load for your rifle at the yardage you with to shoot at.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.