new to reloading questions

steep slope

I just got my reloading gear from my father, he dont use it any more. Its an rcbs press. He used measureing spoons for powder. He mainly reloaded .243 and 30.06. In one box there was a 4lbs can of hercules unique powder brand new. I tried researching it. It takes me to alliant powder and speer bullet combos. Can someone give me some insight on the hurcules and the alliant combos?

Hercules unique is now reformulated and made by Alliant. It is a fast burning powder useful for handgun calibers and shotgun shells. It is not a good powder for the 243 or 30-06.

Last edited:
Hercules unique is now reformulated and made by Alliant. It is a fast burning powder usefully for handgun calibers and shotgun shells. It is not a good powder for the 243 or 30-06.

thanks for the info. He must of had it for a long time and never used it for that reason. Is alliant in other powder forms good for rifles? Im setting up for .270 and .300.

I have a new 1 lb can of Herc. Unique un opened. It is a neat tin square can and I put it on the shelf in my reloading room next to an un opened old foil tube of Winchester gun grease. Neat old stuff is pretty cool I think just to have there as decoration

Jeff

If you want to use Alliant powder then Reloder22 would be good for the 270 and 300(win mag?).

to answer your question about reloading powers invest in several current reloading manuals or hook yourself up with a website known as loaddata.com. if you have little to no experiance handloading then think of each round of handloads you set up as if you were making a cake. select the correct recipe based on caliber & bullet weight. as the loading manuals will state throwing unknowns into the mix is dangerous. and welcome to the art of reloading.

I have a new 1 lb can of Herc. Unique un opened. It is a neat tin square can and I put it on the shelf in my reloading room next to an un opened old foil tube of Winchester gun grease. Neat old stuff is pretty cool I think just to have there as decoration

Jeff

it is a cool looking can

If you want to use Alliant powder then Reloder22 would be good for the 270 and 300(win mag?).

reading through alot of posts not much being said about alliant. on their site as you said the reloader22 and forget the others(have to recheck site). They say teamed up with speer bullets and cci primers makes a very good flat shooter in the 150grn 270

to answer your question about reloading powers invest in several current reloading manuals or hook yourself up with a website known as loaddata.com. if you have little to no experiance handloading then think of each round of handloads you set up as if you were making a cake. select the correct recipe based on caliber & bullet weight. as the loading manuals will state throwing unknowns into the mix is dangerous. and welcome to the art of reloading.

thanks for the good info, as you and everybody can see Im new to reloading. I definately want to do it right. I have been bouncing around wesites. I think just enough to make me gun shy on reloading. Safety is of great concern to me. I want to know what Im doing before I load one bullet. Thank you!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.