New to reloading question.

forest

Hi guys just looking some advice. I am slowly getting into reloading for my 308. Guidelines in lee reloading manual min 43 - 47 max gr . I loaded around 100 between the guidelines and think I was grouping good at 47grs. I haven't shot in awhile, I am using 165 hornady gr gmx. I have around 50 rounds loaded at the max 47 gr maximum guideline. Is this OK? Or should I have kept a little below it? I've probably been reading to much different opinions on this on the web and now I'm a bit concerned I shouldn't have loaded at the maximum figure incase its not safe.
Any help from someone with experience would be great thanks. The rifle I am using is a Remington 700 varmint.
Maybe it's a stupid question I've asked but I've limited knowledge of reloading and want to keep everything safe.

Last edited:
Look for pressure signs on your brass. Is there a faint circle mark from your ejector, an obvious circle mark from your ejector, an obvious shiny circle mark from your ejector, no mark from ejector? How is bolt lift, did it get stiff or increase after you fired? What do the primers look like?

The easiest way would be for you to line up several rounds of brass fired with that load (showing us the case head), take a clear, in focus picture, and post it here so we can look them over.

Max loads are not always max in different rifles. I have had guns that would blow primers half a grain under listed max, and others that I could load 3 or 4 grains over listed max. It all depends on the load data, the gun, and the components. They can all vary.

Start low or in the middle range of the factory stated powder recommendations by loading 3 cases at half grain increments until you get the desired group or seeing pressure signs. Never exceed max load limits.
OK thanks I've already 50 rounds loaded at maximum figure in manual. Do you think they will be OK? The maximum was 47 grs that's what I done them at. Or should I not use them?

Look for pressure signs on your brass. Is there a faint circle mark from your ejector, an obvious circle mark from your ejector, an obvious shiny circle mark from your ejector, no mark from ejector? How is bolt lift, did it get stiff or increase after you fired? What do the primers look like?

The easiest way would be for you to line up several rounds of brass fired with that load (showing us the case head), take a clear, in focus picture, and post it here so we can look them over.

Max loads are not always max in different rifles. I have had guns that would blow primers half a grain under listed max, and others that I could load 3 or 4 grains over listed max. It all depends on the load data, the gun, and the components. They can all vary.
OK I'll do that, it'll be midweek before I get pictures Thanks I'll picture primers and case.

The guy in the shop also sold me a kenetic hammer, are these 100% safe if used properly ? I'm starting to think about opening all the rounds and start off with really low loads again and showing yous the pictures.

OK thanks I've already 50 rounds loaded at maximum figure in manual. Do you think they will be OK? The maximum was 47 grs that's what I done them at. Or should I not use them?
I would not trust it for both accuracy and pressure. It is best and safer to start low and come up to find the accuracy and pressure.

I would leave those where they are for now and see how the load development ends. If it is different than what you have loaded, then you can just pull the projectiles on these.

I would not trust it for both accuracy and pressure. It is best and safer to start low and come up to find the accuracy and pressure.

I would leave those where they are for now and see how the load development ends. If it is different than what you have loaded, then you can just pull the projectiles on these.
OK thanks for that, I'll order new brass then and leave them for now.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.