New to reloading question.

Oh ok, I wasn't sure thanks. I never used one before I'll look that up.
This is what the guy sold me TH1hZ1enINfpacQM7xLnugrUp83Jzc9M-24_1800x1800.jpg

Last edited:
You could just go to the range and setup your stuff on a bench and sit and wait for one of multicam bedazzled tactical guys that shoot 100 yds on the regular with their $5K rifles to pull up and once they get all set up just be like I cant get any kind of good groups would you mind shooting a group and see what you can do with it! Walk a safe distance away and see what happens!

Blc-2 is the accuracy load in the nosler book with a 165grain bullet at 46.5 max
I wouldn't be too concerned if the bolt lift is easy and there arent marks like the others mentioned from the extractor. I dont have the hornady book handy right now but they are typically more conservative than nosler.

Blc-2 is the accuracy load in the nosler book with a 165grain bullet at 46.5 max
I wouldn't be too concerned if the bolt lift is easy and there arent marks like the others mentioned from the extractor. I dont have the hornady book handy right now but they are typically more conservative than nosler.
This is the book the guy sold me and gave me the 47 maximum
book-lee-mr_1.jpg

I always use the data provided by the actual powder manufacturer over a bullet or equipment manufacturer, even though they generally just publish at the powder co's data anyway, that is unless they have conducted their own real life testing.
Generally speaking powder manufacturers published data is on the conservative side BUT it does not take into consideration of factors like different quality brass or different OAL which can influence pressure.
While I do not promote it as you have to have the experience to understand all pressure signs I have gone up to 1.5gr over a published max load.

As long as you have worked up the loads going through the min to max range at your OAL & you have no pressure signs at the max load then go for it!

No one else but you can tell yourself something is safe or not!!

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
According to this 47.5gr BLC-2 is the max load!

Other factors also include condition or age of rifle, some older rifles are not designed to withstand the pressures that a modern rifle can!!

Not sure about that Lee manual but most manuals start out with the first half about the "How Too's" and the whole process of loading. If you skipped that part I suggest you start at the beginning. You might come out OK but you never load that many loads of the MAX without first looking for pressure signs. This should be explained in the first few hundred pages of the manual. I would suggest the Sierra Sixth edition. It was published this Spring and is the most up to date manual that I have seen yet. It has the newest list of cartridges and powders.

Ok
I always use the data provided by the actual powder manufacturer over a bullet or equipment manufacturer, even though they generally just publish at the powder co's data anyway, that is unless they have conducted their own real life testing.
Generally speaking powder manufacturers published data is on the conservative side BUT it does not take into consideration of factors like different quality brass or different OAL which can influence pressure.
While I do not promote it as you have to have the experience to understand all pressure signs I have gone up to 1.5gr over a published max load.

As long as you have worked up the loads going through the min to max range at your OAL & you have no pressure signs at the max load then go for it!

No one else but you can tell yourself something is safe or not!!

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle
According to this 47.5gr BLC-2 is the max load!

Other factors also include condition or age of rifle, some older rifles are not designed to withstand the pressures that a modern rifle can!!

OK thanks for that, at the moment my max loads are sitting at 47 so its under, I've cooked up about 50 rounds. I've another 100 rounds sitting ready at 46.9 I was going to try open them all but I'll now reload more starting low at work my way up to 47 again and if I can see changes I'll put up pictures.

Not sure about that Lee manual but most manuals start out with the first half about the "How Too's" and the whole process of loading. If you skipped that part I suggest you start at the beginning. You might come out OK but you never load that many loads of the MAX without first looking for pressure signs. This should be explained in the first few hundred pages of the manual. I would suggest the Sierra Sixth edition. It was published this Spring and is the most up to date manual that I have seen yet. It has the newest list of cartridges and powders.
Yes i did read the book and then worked my way up. Probably loaded around 100 rounds. My main fault/problem has been very poor record keeping and probably not enough experience to understand pressure signs. Where I've hit my problem I had been working away overseas and hadn't been loading for near 12 months now and then came back and started up again. I had 12 rounds loaded stored from previous at very start which I then found 47 written marked on the brass with a black marker. Foolishly I have presumed this is the load I had settled on when first started loading over 12 months ago. But the thing is I can't remember and have no idea why I wrote 47 on the brass. In hindsight now your right I have loaded to many without being sure. I should have started from scratch again and then been safe and sure, i have made the wrong decision .

N
Hey Forest. No such thing as a dumb question. Wisdom dictates a wise man will ask if he does not know. I commend you for asking. There are others who will benefit from your question.
No worries thanks, yes it's better for me to be honest and recognise my inexperience on this. Then ask you guys for help, there's no point me being stupid and shooting away unless I'm sure what I'm doing. I'd rather try and avoid having a bad day at the range.

N

No worries thanks, yes it's better for me to be honest and recognise my inexperience on this. Then ask you guys for help, there's no point me being stupid and shooting away unless I'm sure what I'm doing. I'd rather try and avoid having a bad day at the range.

"Shooter lives matter"

Kinetic puller, your better off just shooting them, than using that tool?! Get yourself a collet bullet puller, much better.

Oh ok, I wasn't sure thanks. I never used one before I'll look that up.
I have both the collet bullet pullet and the hammer and honestly I prefer the hammer. Sometimes the collet puller marks the bullet. The hammer doesn't. Now the hammer is a little messier as it dumps both the bullet and the powder inside the containment of the hammer. But all you do is pour the powder and bullet into a plastic bowl and go on to the next cartridge.
I can't recall how many bullets I've pulled with my hammer.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.