New to me, Remington 788 in 308.

6x6 elk

Living in Indiana we have only been able to Deerhunt with Shotguns with-slugs, muzzleloaders, Handguns and Rifles in pistol calibers. But this year things have changed, we now use center fire rifles in 243 and 30 caliber. Why those 2 options, I don't know? So I found a Remington788 in 308 for my next Deer Rifle. When I was a kid, my friends dad had one in 243, and this thing was incredibly accurate. At 100 yards it would shoot 1 ragged hole with factory ammo. I've always wanted one, they were a inexpensive rifle back in the day, nothing fancy at all, the stock is made of birch with no checkering at all. But from what I've read on the internet my friends dads rifle as no fluke when it came to accuracy. I found one at a gun show for a fair price, and since I can now deer hunt with it I decided to purchase the gun. I put a Vortex 3-12 Diamondback HP on it, loaded up some Hornady 165 gr SSTs with CFE 223 and headed to the range. After sighting in at 50 yards, I moved to 100 yrds, at 100 yards the first 3 shot group was under 1/2 inch, WOW!! I had several other loads I had and nothing was over 1 inch. A friend gave me some Barnes Vor-Tex factory ammo in 150 and 168 gr TTSX, the 150s shot right at 1/2 inch, the 168 was at 3/4 inch. Very nice for factory ammo. So I've found my new Deer hunting rifle, and I'm going to use the Barnes 150 gr TTSX. So if anyone is looking for a inexpensive, very accurate rifle that you don't care if it gets beat up, check these out if you come across one, not pretty but these things shoot!!

I have had a couple 788's and you are correct, they shoot very well. That artillery style bolt was made to be inexpensive and it shot lights out!.....Rich

Boy, it would be nice that Ohio would follow in Indiana's foot steps for our deer gun season. I would love to carry my bolt actions to hunt deer.

Jason

I would love to know the logic used in determining that only .243-.308 caliber rifles can be used...this defies all known logic in the shooting world....there's a big big big difference between a .300 rem ultra mag and a .243 win... Hopefully you can enlighten us as to what criteria was used in making this rule ???? Oh yeah..I had a 788 in 22/250 and it shot as good as any factory rifle I ever owned !

We are all scratching our heads on why they chose the 243 and 30 cal? I would rather be limited to 30/30, 35 rem, 444 Marlin and 45/70. Basically short/ mid range rifles. I cannot use my 45/70 but I can use my 300 RUM? Doesn't make any sense, but that's our government at work.

I would love to know the logic used in determining that only .243-.308 caliber rifles can be used...this defies all known logic in the shooting world....there's a big big big difference between a .300 rem ultra mag and a .243 win... Hopefully you can enlighten us as to what criteria was used in making this rule ???? Oh yeah..I had a 788 in 22/250 and it shot as good as any factory rifle I ever owned !
Nowadays, a lot of hunting rules are made by people with no hunting or shooting experience/knowledge. Besides there are a significant number of anti hunting officials like biologists in fish and wildlife departments.
Young urban college graduates with little or no connection to country life and nature, other then what they view on TV programs.

My first centerfire rifle growing up was a 788 in 222. Bought it with paper route money. We moved to the country after that and the prairie dog population suffered....

The 788's were always known for accuracy. I haven't seen a cheap one in a long, long time. I think today's equivalent gun is the Thompson Center Compass. They seem to shoot way above their price.

My gramps has one in 22 250 very accurate guns...the bolts are soldered tho don't hot rod it or bang on the bolt too much

I have a 308 I bought last year that is quite accurate. Put a Murphy Precision scope base on it abd a Boyd's stock, Great rifle!

Amazingly accurate and simple rifles....almost had a chance at a 308 back in the 90's. A guy we called "Not So" in front of his last name of "Sharp" got it before me. Looking back we were a bunch of arrogant little prickly pears, and the guy was really dang sharp had we parked our BS egos and learned. My father in law has one in 22-250....has not been fired in probably 25 years. Nope...wont sell it or even give it to one of the grandkids. I sure hope they get a shot at it before it's gone away.