New to Me!

8x68s

.257 Weatherby fresh out of the box! I have had several 25-06's over the years and felt it was time to try a quarter bore with more zip. This rifle, if I've done my research correctly, twists at a rate of 1:9.25. Does that twist limit me to 120 grain bullets as did the 25-06 in a 1:10?? I'd like to try some bullets that are heavy for caliber but not if the twist rate is insufficient. Whatcha think? New rifle, not rebarreling... :cool:

.257 Weatherby fresh out of the box! I have had several 25-06's over the years and felt it was time to try a quarter bore with more zip. This rifle, if I've done my research correctly, twists at a rate of 1:9.25. Does that twist limit me to 120 grain bullets as did the 25-06 in a 1:10?? I'd like to try some bullets that are heavy for caliber but not if the twist rate is insufficient. Whatcha think? New rifle, not rebarreling... :cool:
25_06 was 1:10. 9.25 will help but still far short of what you need for the new bullets that are out, or will be soon. The 131 BJ which is the top long range bullet likes 7-7.5.

mm-mm, that's what I thought. I had looked at Blackjack earlier today and saw the info but was wondering how far one could push the 1:9.25 twist. thanks for chiming in!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.