New to Long Range

comets113

Hello everyone I am new here and I am just getting into long range hunting and going to invest in a basic gun. I am not looking for anything fancy or super expensive. Just looking for something basic that I can learn from and goal with the gun is to be able to hit a target at 500yards. I am looking at either a mossberg patriot or a remmington 700 ADL in .308. I would like to hear any results and opinions on these two guns. thank you.

Welcome,

I don't know anything about the Mossberg. Remington would be a decent gun for you. I would suggest you consider the Remington SPS in .308 if it fits your price range. My real suggestion is to look at a Savage with an accutrigger. The accutrigger is very nice for an entry level rifle and Savages are noted for being accurate out of the box. The scope you chose is the workhorse for long range shooting.

The Mossberg rifles are very Savage-like in construction, using a barrel nut system and having their own version of the Accutrigger (called the LBA). I have an MVP in 5.56 NATO that is very accurate. I have shot it in a couple of 500 yard club matches and drawn favorable comments from guys alongside me shooting custom rifles.

I have no direct experience with the Patriot model, so I cannot say for sure if my experience with the MVP can be expected with the Patriot. Regardless, one disadvantage relative to comparable Savage rifles is the current lack of aftermarket support for the Mossbergs. If the plan is to upgrade your rifle over time, the Savage is probably a better choice.

I bought my MVP expressly because of the combination of features offered for the money, rather than as a base gun for a build.

you do not say where you are . if you reload. what you are shooting at. weight helps . I would get a rem 700 long range in 30-06 . mine is great . if I was to get a 308 I would get varmint model 700

It's really hard to beat a Savage. Look into a model 10 or 12. The 308 is great. Plenty of factory ammo, and more reloading data than you could read in a lifetime. And the nice thing about a savage is its easily upgraded. You can add bells and whistles all day long, and aftermarket barrels are very common. I have a model 12 with a factory barrel chambered in 22-250 that shoots one ragged hole with factory ammo, and a model 10 in 260 with a factory barrel that prints clover leaves all day long. Savages can easily be customized, when or if you ever want to. If you have a budget, and you want to keep things basic, but get the best bang for your buck, I'd go savage. Just get one with the Accustock, and the Accutrigger.

One more vote for the Savage, but I would nudge you towards the 7mm Rem Mag. I think you will find with a good scope and a little practice, your goal of 500 yds. can easily be exceeded. The 7 RM has the ability to deliver more punch down range in the 800 to 1000 yd. range.

Go with a 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Rem instead of 308 they will easily get you to 1000 yards the 308 can do it but it is easier with those two calibers.

One other thing- make sure you put a nice piece of glass on what ever rifle you decide on. A nice scope is worth the money. Don't go cheap. If you do, you'll get cheap results.
So have you decided on a rifle yet?

One other thing- make sure you put a nice piece of glass on what ever rifle you decide on. A nice scope is worth the money. Don't go cheap. If you do, you'll get cheap results.
So have you decided on a rifle yet?
Some of the best advice I was ever give is to always be willing to spend as much on the scope as you did the rifle. There's absolutely no sense in putting a great rifle together and then hanging cheap, second or third rate glass on it.

You can never realize the rifles full potential without a quality optic and you'll have nothing but trouble down the road if you try to do it on the cheap.

Figure out the absolute max you can afford to spend on a scope and then save another 30% before you go looking.

Never be afraid of buying a quality used scope either if it has a lifetime manufacturers warranty even if you get it and it has a problem send it off and it will be right as rain when you get it back.

The above is why I'm so loyal to both Leupold and IOR Valdada. Rarely have I had a problem with either and very quick turnaround time when I do.

I sent one of my IOR's in for a service issue on a Monday, and had a brand new scope returned on Friday.

Leupold has been just as good to me.

Those two brands have also been the most dependable I've ever used without any trouble in most of them ever and the few that I did have, they were used scopes I bought knowing I'd have to send them in.

Both of them still recognize that nothing is more important than building good scopes except servicing them.

Also how much are you looking to spend. For 500 yards and hunting the savages in 7.5 are hard to beat. Now if you wanna try for 1000 yards down the road and don't need a rifle to carry hunting much of Michigan is stand hunting were weight is no issue. If that's the case look into a ruger percision. Very hard to beat for the price. Just more of a bench or stand gun. For 500 yards and a better hunting option savage is what you want.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.