new to long range.

macdad

Iam thankful this. Iam group is around first and foremost. Iam looking into getting into long range shooting and have never shot anything rifle wise other than my old 270 a sears and Robuck model and anold Mossberg 243 both given to me by my father and father in law. Iwant to buy y first rifle on my own and looking into the 6.5 creedmore. I mainly hunt in Texas but plan on a few hunts in the near futher with a coworker for both elk and mule deer.

Iam thankful this. Iam group is around first and foremost. Iam looking into getting into long range shooting and have never shot anything rifle wise other than my old 270 a sears and Robuck model and anold Mossberg 243 both given to me by my father and father in law. Iwant to buy y first rifle on my own and looking into the 6.5 creedmore. I mainly hunt in Texas but plan on a few hunts in the near futher with a coworker for both elk and mule deer.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

The .300 WM is my go to chambering from antelope to elk size game up to 1K yards. Load it with 210/215 Berger and you're golden.

Cheers!

Ed

6.5 Creedmoor is a great choice of caliber if the gun your looking at isn't chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor but is chambered for 7mm-08 that would be a great choice also.

If the 243 shoots well, put a good long range scope of your choice on it. Shoot it until the barrel is worn out. By then you will have a lot better idea of what you really want.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.