New TBAC Magnus line with RR (recoil reduction)

redchinviking

Heard rumor but just confirmed a brand new braked version suppressor from Thunderbeast Arms. Very curious how this will affect overall feel of recoil with suppression. One of my major complaints shooting magnums suppressed is the lengthened feel with some suppressor/magnum combos. Hoping to hear from anyone who gets a chance to shoot behind one of these in the coming weeks and months. There is a lot to unpack-age here with different lengths, mounts, and versions available.

Interesting. That is a lot to unpack.

"When shooting 300 Winchester Magnum, the RR models (all lengths) offer over 60% recoil reduction when compared to a bare muzzle. For comparison's sake, a normal MAGNUS-CB with flat endcap only has a 29% reduction on 300WM. See the table at the top of this page for all the recoil reduction data (click on it to make it larger!)."

Will they retrofit my Magnus and Ultra 338? :)

Well.
To me the concept is good but……
I buy suppressors to keep the noise levels down.
Looking at their website for the tests I see they are a few decibels louder than non braked.
I know it's just a few decibels but still.
It's a few decibels.

Well.
Looking at their website for the tests I see they are a few decibels louder than non braked.
It's a few decibels.
I'm in the middle of that debate right now with myself haha, but at the same time the can will be run on everything from a 6 dasher up to my hunting weight 300 Norma. So I don't really need the brake on the smaller calibers, but I'm thinking a few decibels is worth the huge increase in recoil reduction on the bigger cartridges. That's the biggest complaint I've seen about shooting suppressed on magnums is the increased felt recoil, as well as the longer recoil impulse.

Well.
It's a few decibels.
It's a niche product for sure, but it's great for the niche it fits. Area 419 did it a few years ago. Their can is actually louder than a bare muzzle in its shortest brake configuration, but it's by far the best muzzle device out there for competitions like PRS. It offers the recoil reduction and control you get with a brake, but has almost no concussion and is significantly quieter than a brake. I definitely wouldn't hunt with it set up the same way I compete with it.

I shot the Magnus S RR a couple weeks ago while at a match. It did exactly as advertised. Even had a full size Magnus to compare to. It was quieter but you could tell slightly stiffer in recoil without the brake. The S RR for the shooter was awesome. Shooters ear was better than you'd think going off the numbers. Shot without ear pro with no ringing after a total of 10 rounds and being a by stander for many more. Being behind it was fine. Standing off to the side was slightly less pleasant and initially not as impressive so the brake is doing something. It totally out performs the area 419 braked suppressor

Last edited:
I shot the Magnus S RR a couple weeks ago while at a match. It did exactly as advertised. Even had a full size Magnus to compare to. It was quieter but you could tell slightly stiffer in recoil without the brake. The S RR for the shooter was awesome. Shooters ear was better than you'd think going off the numbers. Shot without ear pro with no ringing after a total of 10 rounds and being a by stander for many more. Being behind it was fine. Standing off to the side was slightly less pleasant and initially not as impressive so the brake is doing something. It totally out performs the area 419 braked suppressor
When you say it beats the Maverick are you talking in terms of sound signature or recoil and muzzle rise?

Sound signature. Two guys on my squad had them on their PRS guns which i did get to fire. However, I was curious and removed my ear pro while they began a stage. I immediately put them back on after the first shot.

Sound signature. Two guys on my squad had them on their PRS guns which i did get to fire. However, I was curious and removed my ear pro while they began a stage. I immediately put them back on after the first shot.
Yeah, that doesn't surprise me. Area 419's primary design consideration was sight picture retention. They anticipate it'll mostly be used at matches where you'll need ear pro due to other shooters anyway. It really just takes away the concussion that can't be mitigated with ear pro. It's very much designed to ensure there's enough gas redirected to provide performance similar to a good brake. The main chamber is overbored, not clipped, and only has 2 or 3 baffles. I've never shot mine with the baffle stack so I can't comment on how that sounds.

The new Magnus definitely has my interest along with the new Nomad XC series. I have a 300wm with ultra 7 and it flat out rocks you. Seeing the TB chart they claim it only reduces recoil by 8% compared to bare muzzle, makes sense. I'm looking for two new suppressors for a 7 PRC+P and 300NMI. Looking at the TB chart looks like Magnus-S-RR or Magnus-K-RR would work great for big magnums.

That's good to know. I still wear ear protection when running suppressed. I maybe looking at this wrong but if I have a rifle just with a brake and it's at 180 db, even with ear protection of 25db I'm still well above the braked suppressor.

I like the idea, but the weight and the cost seem to be tough to swallow for these Magnus RR options. I'll have to dig into them some more and keep them in mind though.

That's good to know. I still wear ear protection when running suppressed. I maybe looking at this wrong but if I have a rifle just with a brake and it's at 180 db, even with ear protection of 25db I'm still well above the braked suppressor.
It's also worth considering the concussion a brake creates, especially if you're shooting off barricades that reflect that concussion back towards you or under a roof. No ear pro can block that, and the bones in your skull will conduct that concussion to your inner ear and cause hearing damage. That's one of the biggest advantages to braked cans in my opinion.