New SSG Built 260 rem pics

James Jones

Here are some pics of the 260 Rem that 308nate from Strait shot gunsmithing built for me.

I had sent the barreled action back to have the whole thing coated black with KG gunkote and had the caliber and Nate's company logo re ingraved through the black so it'll stand out better , I also though that the black would match better with the brown laminated stock from Joel Russo.

Here is a rundown of the package for those who might not have seen it as a two tone and black stock

Rem 700 SA fully blue printed with the bolt race way reamed over size.
the bolt is an over sized unit from PTG and fluted by Nate , the handel is tig welded on it has a Sako extractor , Greg Tannel ultra lite firingpin with aluminum bolt shroud and 26lb Wolff spring , the whole bolt assembly is coated with Robar's NP3 process

28" Lilja #7 conture fluted , 1-8 twist 3 groove barrel with SSG's V-port brake all screwed together to the action with a Holland recoil lug between

the stock is one of Joel Russo's A-5L in brown laminate ADL configuration , the action is fully bedded with Devcon plastic steel putty with two oversized pillers. I also fitted a Terry Cross adjustable comb unit.

Seekens rings and base hold up Nikon Tactical 4-16x50mm

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb176/Samson_104/SSG2602.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb176/Samson_104/SSG2601.jpg

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb176/Samson_104/SSG2603.jpg

Good lookin rig, hope it is shooting as good as it looks. I thought it looked good in that stock the dog ate too.

James thats a SWEET LOOKIN' rifle you got there bud! Did you put any rounds down range yet? And if so how'd she do? But being from Nate im sure its a shooter as well.

Thanks again for sharingthe make up and pics of your rifle. Its pics like that that make it hard on the wallet if you know what I mean :)

Good Shooting and Happy Huntin'

You've outdone yourself James.

Very Nice!

Nice work Nate.

Who did the KG guncoat, and who did the engraving? What did the KG cost? What was the turnaround time?

Last edited:
The gun has a little under 200 rounds through it and it'll shoot in the .2's with several loads and I shot a couple groups in the .18" range , but now I gotta get more brass and strat the process all over again.

Joel , Nathen Dagley (308nate) did the KG coating and the engraving , I think that the engraving through the coating makes for a realy nice extra touch. After seeing how well it looks to have the caliber engraved rather than stamped I'm either gonna have to get a CNC when I get a shop going or have the guns sent out for it , but hell that just another reason I'll need a CNC right !! Nate's prices are on his web site , I can't rember off the top of my head right now.

Thanks for everybody kind words

Nice job by all envolved. Looks good.

The bricks in the background cause a bit of nostalgia. :( Lived in several houses over in Luling w/bricks like that. Ah! Sal's seafood platter w/soft shell crabs. **** near killed me every time I ate them (thyroid reaction) but hot ****! it was worth it.;)

10-4 on that CNC. Get'er up and runnin, I'll send ya some bidness, if things workout the way they are lookin.

Beautiful rifle -i love laminated wood...

Roy -I've been to Luling -when i first moved to the south i lived in des almands[spl?] La. -the catfish capitol of the world- -way back in 1981.

Talking about people stealing on the other thread -south louisiana is the worst place i've ever seen or heard of for thieves.

It is very nice. I hope you don't mind. I hate clicking links.

SSG2601.jpg

SSG2602.jpg

SSG2603.jpg

Nice looking stick James, Nate does some nice work. What did you use to finish the stock, and how was it done? Looks like a fine job.

AG

The finish on that stock is actualy out of a spray can from Wal-Mart as bad as I hate to say it. I think its called Poly-Crylic or somthing and its a semi-gloss.

I sanded the stock ,after I did all my cutting and shapping , down to 280grit paper then I sealed it with Gorilla glue buy using very little and just rubbing it in by hand after it set up I sanded with 280 again then 400 wet a couple times , wiped it all down with some denatured alcohol and sprayed it. Its got about 10 coats on it (2 cans) and it was sanded with 400 wet between each coat. I let it dry for 3 days in a warming cabnit before sanding and adding another coat.

This stuff isin't that hard when its cured and I may end up putting several more coats later just to build it up.

The gun weighs just over 13lbs , but considering the amount of bedding material and the size of the two pillers I figured it would weigh more.

I'm not sure who made the trigger shoe as its not marked but it is identical to an Ace aluminum shoe I have , the one on the gun is blued steel. I have had some bad luck with with the Ace aluminum shoes they are very weak in the sideds and very little pressure to tighten them to the trigger maked them break , I coulden't even get them tight enough to keep from slipping. I had a nice billet shoe on my old 22-250 Ai but never found out who made that one either.
I cut the end of my trigger finger almost off when I was in highschool and I have never been able to get any feeling back in the last 80% of my fingure tip and a trigger shoe helps alot with me being able to feel the tripgger since they are so wide other wise I have to stick my finger way up into the trigger and that screws up my grip.

Anybody know of a company that makes good trigger shoes out their?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.