Strait Shot Gunsmithing built 260 Rem

James Jones

SSGbuilt260Rem.jpg

Well I finaly got this thing finished despite several setbacks and hold ups. here are the specs

Remington 700 SA fully blue printed by Nathen Dagley of Strait Shot Gunsmithing , fitted with an PTG over sized bolt with Sako extractor and that Nate fluted and tig welded the handel, the action is coated with KG Gunkote in black, the bolt shroud is a custom SS unit and the firing pin is one of Greg Tannels light weight pins with a tight fitting 22lb Wolff spring. All the bolt inside and out plus all internals were coated with Robar's NP3 process. The recoil lug is a holland unit thats pinned in place. I also fitted the action with a Wyatt's long mag box.
The barrel is a 27" Lilja 3 groove , 1-8 twist , #7 conture fluted and fitted with SSG's V-port brake and chambered in 260 Rem , minimum spec.
The stock is one of Joel Russo's A5L ADL configuration piller bedded with a 1.25" SS piller up front and 9/16" SS piller in the rear and glass bedded with Devcon Liquid Steel and fitted with an adjustable comb unit that I made and fitted myself. The stock was realy pretty before the neighbors lab pup chewed on it , so after alot of sanding and filling I thought it was best to paint it black , the paint is a spray on bed liner for trucks beds.
The scope is a 4-16x50mm Nikon Tactical mounted in Glenn Seekins's 6 screw rings and 20 moa base. The base and action were fitted with 8-40 screws.

This gun shoots several loads with the 140 A-max into the .3's and one into the .2's at a velocity of around 2800fps, the inital crono reading were off by nearly 100fps on the fast side. I haven't done any load development other than 4 loads of two differant powders with the bullet just seated to touch the lands , I'm sure that with a little more work I can get some very consistant groups in the lower .2's.
All the shooting was done off a great bench with a Rock BR front rest and rear bag. The recoil of this gun is just a little bump , tipping the trigger with out the gun touching anything the gun simply scoots back anout a 1/2" !!! , if I can train myself to keep my eyes open through the report I'm sure that I can spot hits at 100yds.

I want to give a special thanks to everybody here who helped me build this gun as "ALL" the parts were either bought or traded for from this web site clasiffides or built by a member here .

Re: Straight Shot Gunsmithing built 260 Rem

[ QUOTE ]
The stock was realy pretty before the neighbors lab pup chewed on it , so after alot of sanding and filling I thought it was best to paint it black

[/ QUOTE ]

So how does dog taste. I would guess a freshly butchered lab pup would be pretty tender.

I would be interested in the details of how you installed the adjustable cheekpiece and where you got it, etc.

Nice looking rifle James. I am slowly gathering parts for my build, its taking a little longer than expected. I like the looks of the stock. Did you use a primer under the bedliner? Is it available in spray bombs or did you mix it and shoot it through a spray gun? How is it holding up, it looks great, and something I would consider using.

Thanks,
Frank D

Last edited:
demarpaint , Like I mentiond the stock got chewed on a little bit and I used some wood filler to fill i the smaller holes and JB weld putty for the bigger ones. Once the stock was sanded back down to its finished shape I used Gorilla glue and rubbed it into the wood by hand after it dried over night I sanded back lightly with 100 grit paper then sparyed it. The bedliner I used was just the rattel can from Auto-Zone , i think its made by Dupli-color. Its some pretty durable stuff and seems to take a few days maybe even a week to get fully cured as its a good bit harder now than when I first sprayed it.
I sprayed a piece of wood with the bed liner and I'm gonna let it cure for two weeks then spray it with some Dura-Coat and see how it sticks. The stock may be getting a paint job in Urban camo or somthing.

I have another one of Joels stocks at the house now that I'm working on , its gonna have a Terry Cross adjustable comb unit and aluminum pillers to save on a little bit of weight. It's gonna get finished with a semi-gloss poly finish to show off the wood. I'm in the process of trying to find a forend rail to inlet into it right now.

OSO , the cheek piece unit in this thing took a good bit of of manual machine work and for me to make another one it would cost well over $100 plus the instalition price , so in my oppinion it woulden't be worth it to make another one , thats why I bought one from Terry Cross and after recieving it and installing it I'll never waste my time making another one.
Terry's unit if ALOT lighter and easier to inlet and its a very simple rugged desgine. It might not be as strong as mine but considering the size differance and its desgine that would be expected.
By the way Terry is also the same guy that makes and sells the Pod-lock for the Harris bi-pods and apperas to be a great rifle builder with a winning track record in the tactical match community

OSO , you have a PM inbound

I missed this post becase I have been too busy....but that .260 looks sweet!

If you have a cap for that brake you should drag it down to Palo Alto Saturday after next and shoot 600yd F class with us. I will be there with at least another guy I shoot with and probably Mr. Don if the weather is nice. Load up 66 rounds and I could meet you in Hammond and you can ride in with me if you dont know where the range is.
But I got to warn you my 6x47 is going to be hard to beat if I can muster a good performance and the wind cooperates. I got close this month but lost points getting on paper because it was the first time I had shot at 600 with this gun.(Got confused with the 1/8 moa adjustements and it cost me a few points...like 7) Give me a call or email if your interested. There are a great bunch of guys that shoot there.

Clicks

eddybo, I guess you don't like clicks. Whether on scopes or powder measures.
Just funnin' ya a little.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.