Nathan Built .300WSM

victor

Happy New Year to All!

I had a very good Christmas this year thanks to Nathan Dagley of Straight Shot Gunsmithing (SSG). Nathan sent me a package that arrived the day before Christmas. The package contained my long awaited .300WSM.

Nathan had gone above and beyond the call of duty to get this rifle ready. Thank you Nathan for all your hard work.
I want to make it clear to all, that Nathan is a man of the highest moral character. He has integrity, which is synonymous with honesty. He is a skilled craftsman and he used his skills to build, what I think is the perfect Hunting rifle !
Components:
1. Borden Alpine Action
2. Rock Creek 5R Barrel #3 Contour
3. H&S Precision Stock
4. 4.5-14X44mm Zeiss Conquest Scope with Mil-Dot & Turrets

SSG_300WSM.JPG

Pic of Rifle
300WSM_H4350-63_0_168A-MAX.JPG

Best Group to Date
H4350-63_168A-Max.JPG

Group @ 100yds H4350-63.0 168A-Max 210m 2.995 oal 2.980fps
300WSM_350yd_Target.JPG

350 Yard Target Group (Prone with very poor rest)
650yd_target_300WSM_257WBY.JPG

650 Yard Target Group (Very poor rest was used, but I still managed to hit the gong). Upper extreme left is .300WSM. Lower Extreme Left is .257Wby.
I was aiming for the center, When I hiked up to the target, I realized there was a breeze blowing left to right, which was not discernable from my shooting location.

After developing loads and dialing in the scope, I was able to sneak off for an over night trip to the desert to try and call some coyotes. I got one to come in the first night.

300WSM_First_Blood.JPG

I got this yote at 185 yds just as the sun set. I then got another one the next night that I did not get a picture of. The 168gr A-max bullet was the first one that I had time to test and get a good group with. Then I was off to test it in the field. The A-max killed both coyotes instantly. It took a 5" section of spine out in both instances and it was instant death. However, if your going to collect the pelts, I suggest using a different bullet.

This gun is the perfect weight (approx. 8.5 LBS, with scope). It handles nicely and shoots consistently. The delima now, is what do I do with all my other guns???

End of Report & Kind Regards to all,
Victor

Hi Len, I tried fooling with photobucket for awhile and just could not get it to work. I switched to Hunt101 and now I will see if it works.........

Last edited:
Victor

The URL's of your photos are wrong for some reason. When I take the URL of one of your pictures out of this post and put it into the address thingy at the top of the browser page I get an error message from Photobucket.

Before you try again to correct this thread, first go back to Photobucket, get a URL from one of your photos and see if you get get it to display in your web browser. Good luck.

Victor , if your using photobucket all you need to do is left click on the bottom row under the pic , that will automaticly copy the pic then you right click on your text and click on paste that will past the correct data so that a picture appears in the post after it is submited.

Glad to see more folks are enjoying Nate's work.

By the way Happy New Year to everybody

Pic's are Resolved

Ok Len,

I finally was able to get the pictures to load properly and sized correctly.

I have to say though, that it was harder to setup the pictures then it was to call in those coyotes.

James, thanks for the input, Photo bucket is much more user friendly to use then Hunt101, with the single pick and it copies the link, but it just is not working at the moment.

Hunt101 is much more laborious to use, or maybe I just don't know how to use all its features correctly, but currently I am able to only work with one pic at a time, using Hunt101. If you use Hunt101, the picture size to use is "medium"!
The first time around I inadvertently attached only thumbnails, and then the second time, The full size pics were just too big, the third time they are just right. I guess learning new things is a good way to start off the New Year!

Cheers
Vic

.270WSM barrel attached yesterday

Ok, Just so you know how good a job Nate did with this rifle. After dialing in the .300WSM barrel, I removed it and screwed on the .270WSM barrel (Switch barrel gun).
I went to break in the barrel and sight in the scope with the .270WSM barrel. The first shot with Winchester 150gr. PPT ammo at 50 yards, was so close to the bullseye that I needed only adjust 1 MOA windage to get her on center.

270WSM_Barrel_Break-In.JPG

I then shot at 100yds with the factory ammo. It kind of sprayed all over and I had heavy bolt lift on some of the factory rounds.

I then shot 3 rounds of handloads: H4350-58.0, 135SMK, 210M. All bullets went thru the same hole and the elevation was untouched from when the .300WSM barrel was on.

I was really surprised how accurate it was. I then shot 140gr Accubonds and although lower impact point, it shot extremely well. My last load was using 130TSX bullets and 215M primers. That group was a bit bigger.

All in all, I would say the results are excellent, especially when you consider that these loads were made back in April, long before I ever had the rifle in possession. Now I can fool with over all length and possibly get those groups a bit tighter using the 130TSX bullets.

I am extremely pleased with the performance of this rifle.

Thank's again Nate!

Best Regards,
Victor

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.