7mmWSM or 300WSM

Matt G.

I am new to Long Range Hunting so I hope you veterans can help me out.I am planning on purchasing a Winchester Coyote but am torn between a 7mmWSM or 300WSM.I will be using it mostly for whitetail but will load for varmits and posibly elk.In my area for deer 400-500 yards is probably my limit.So,does anyone have some insight or experience with these cartridges?

Matt,
Both are inherently accurate cartridges, but when you say "elk" I believe that you should go with the .300 WSM. Lots of really good, accurate, reliable game killing bullets in .30 caliber. Factory 180 Failsafes for instance.
I did a test of the .300 WSM a while back and found the factory ammo to be extremely accurate out to 1000 yards. Shot a GA Precision rifle with a Nightforce NXS on it and got some three shot groups out at 800 yds that were at or very close to 4" with 180 Failsafe ammo. Have never seen Failsafes shoot that well. I was impressed with how well all of the factory loads shot.
A M-70 COYOTE in either caliber will be an excellent hunting rig, but I believe that elk are best hunted with heavier bullets that penetrate.

The 7mm shooting a handloaded 162 A-Max with H-1000 would be my first move from where you are sitting.

Being a PA resident myself, I'm guessing that 99.9% of your use for this rifle will be to thin the thriving whitetail herds in PA. Therefore, I would say that either one will suffice. I'm looking at the same scenario, just wondering when I'll be able to buy...

S1, I see the 7mm Coyote has a twist of 1in9.5, the A-MAX is 1in9 or faster, would you still use that bullet for his coyote?
grin.gif
Jay

I have been shooting the 162 gr AMAX in my 7mm Rem. Mag. with very good results. 3 shots at 300yds have been 1.75" to 2". Also using Retumbo with this combo, great powder, extreme spreads less then 10fps. The AMAX box actually recommends a twist of 1 in 8, but I have had no problems with my Remington with the 1 in 9.25 twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.