Trinidad Gunsmithing School?

Paul Wyatt

slygunner, there are a couple of gunsmiths in your general area that graduated from Trinidad, that could give you some good first hand knowledge of your plan. Shane Thompson, in Soda Springs, Idaho and Ray Gorney in Twin Falls Idaho. Both guys are excellent gunsmiths and more important great people.

I'm thinking of attending Trinidad to get a gunsmithing degree. Can you guys give me any info on your opinions of this school. I live in Utah and I'm married so I will either move or live in a dorm and come home on the weekends. Is it worth it? If I were to graduate and open my own business, am I going to make enough money to make a living, or am I better off to work for some gun company or a master gunsmith? This is a life long dream and I will do whatever it takes to be successful. Is there anyone here that has attend Trinidad and what are your opinions and experiences.
Thanks and Happy Hunting,
slygunner

sly i would suggest that you work with some one who is in the specialty that you want to work in. If it is rifles find some one in rifles dont be affraid to work cheap at first the education you get with them will be far more precious than a couple of bucks an hour.I had the chance working with some realy good guys in my shop and learned way more from them than I thought possible.

I saw a lot of guys who came out of the schools who I think were plain dangerous the schools will do alot to teach the basics and theroys but practical application is lacking

Just my opionion, but CO School of Trades in Denver (actually, Lakewood) is a heck of a lot better. They have the rep for the best in the country.

Thanks for the info guys. I will look into the CO school of trades. I will need to work for someone that knows what they are doing, but I don't know yet what I what to specialize in. After awhile I most likely to go out on my own.
Thanks and Happy Hunting,
slygunner

I read your question with great intrest. I graduated from Piedmont Community College
(gunsmithing) 10 years ago. Look for a school that is set up like an apprentice ship(PCC is this way). Gunsmithing make up the bulk of the core courses, not math and english. I have my own shop--I love it but you are limited to what you can physically do--also paper work, customer chit-chat, and other things that take time away from actual gunsmith work. Large companies such as Browning are unionized, pd vacation, insurance, etc.-- things you do not have in you own shop(esp. retirement)--Also age old problem of getting people to promptly pick up repaired guns. Start-up cost of a shop are awful, wife had better have a good job. I have always been in own shop due to some real particular circumstances and stay 5 to 8 wks behind. I have friend who left Browning to buy own shop in Greensboro, NC--He likes it but says leaving Browning was a big mistake. I can take vacation and hunt when ever I want but don't get paid and I lose customers when I am not in the shop. Look closely before you make a decision and remember the family.
Gunsmit

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.