New scale

Matt Tatum

Hello all,
My son was throwing the basketball the other day and accidentally smashed my reloading scale. I have been running a RCBS 5-0-2 for 20 years or better so I haven’t kept up with the new technology.

So..... I need a new scale. I have been searching for reviews but really can’t make heads or tails of it. I prefer the beam type, but I’m open to any recommendations.
Thanks in advance.

ShtrRdy

I tried a electronic scale, (low to moderate price), and became frustrated over the years with drifting and temperature sensitivity affecting zero. I'm back to a beam scale. Currently using a Redding that I bought used. (I had to send the Redding back twice to get the problems worked out of it)

I've got an old RCBS from the 70's I might be willing to sell. Its marked that it's made by Ohaus for RCBS. I dont recall the model number right off.

Matt Tatum

Thanks for all the advice. I’ve been looking at the hornady lock and load beam scale, anybody tried it?
Ill check out the Redding as well.
I just looked at the Prometheus and that would be quite a treat!

droptine

LRH Team Member
I have to vote for the RCBS chargemaster lite. Mine came in on Sunday, yesterday. It zeros it’s self every charge. Best reloading thing I ever bought in my 40 plus years of reloading. Already loaded a box of 338 win mag, 308 and 8x57 since it came in. Really easy to use and dang near fool proof best I can tell.

Used a Lyman digital scale for quite a few years, but it started to drift and would have to re zero to often. Before that I used a Hornady beam scale for long time and it was good, still have it. I had one of those cheap Lee scales I used in the 80, it worked fine and still have it in the box it came in somewhere. Before I had the Lee scale I bought an old beam scale of some kind for a few bucks from my Dr., he was a reloader. It was some kind of beam an old beam scale that came out of a lab somewhere he worked. It had a fishing weight on the end cut down so the scale would zero. But it worked, loaded a lot rounds with it.

I’d buy the RCBS chargemaster lite and a Lyman pocket digital scale just to have another scale. I need order one of those pocket scales myself.

General RE LEE

Hornady just came out with their 3rd generation electronic scale and I worked up some loads. It definitely doesn’t wander like the previous generation.

McHaggis

Not that I’ve ever had one but ShtrRdy’s offer of the old Oahus made beam scale is probably a very good option. Waaaay better than the newer China imports sold under common brand names.

arch408

I have an old Lyman scale that i got second in 1974 that i’ll never part with, but truth be known, I mostlyuse electronic scales. My Dillon scale should be replaced and I bought a Hornady scale for my condo that seems to be pretty good, especially for the price.

epoletna

I used a Dillon electronic scale for several years. Then it began to throw inaccurate charges. I called Dillon, thinking they'd make it good or replace. They said their scales are not covered by their bullet-proof warranty.

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.