New scale

Matt Tatum

Hello all,
My son was throwing the basketball the other day and accidentally smashed my reloading scale. I have been running a RCBS 5-0-2 for 20 years or better so I haven't kept up with the new technology.

So..... I need a new scale. I have been searching for reviews but really can't make heads or tails of it. I prefer the beam type, but I'm open to any recommendations.
Thanks in advance.

I tried a electronic scale, (low to moderate price), and became frustrated over the years with drifting and temperature sensitivity affecting zero. I'm back to a beam scale. Currently using a Redding that I bought used. (I had to send the Redding back twice to get the problems worked out of it)

I've got an old RCBS from the 70's I might be willing to sell. Its marked that it's made by Ohaus for RCBS. I dont recall the model number right off.

I have a RCBS charge master lite and it is an awesome scale. seldom ever throws an over charge. If I were to buy another beam scale it would likely be a Redding. Thinking of selling my RCBS 304 as I seldom ever use it

Thanks for all the advice. I've been looking at the hornady lock and load beam scale, anybody tried it?
Ill check out the Redding as well.
I just looked at the Prometheus and that would be quite a treat!

I have to vote for the RCBS chargemaster lite. Mine came in on Sunday, yesterday. It zeros it's self every charge. Best reloading thing I ever bought in my 40 plus years of reloading. Already loaded a box of 338 win mag, 308 and 8x57 since it came in. Really easy to use and dang near fool proof best I can tell.

Used a Lyman digital scale for quite a few years, but it started to drift and would have to re zero to often. Before that I used a Hornady beam scale for long time and it was good, still have it. I had one of those cheap Lee scales I used in the 80, it worked fine and still have it in the box it came in somewhere. Before I had the Lee scale I bought an old beam scale of some kind for a few bucks from my Dr., he was a reloader. It was some kind of beam an old beam scale that came out of a lab somewhere he worked. It had a fishing weight on the end cut down so the scale would zero. But it worked, loaded a lot rounds with it.

I'd buy the RCBS chargemaster lite and a Lyman pocket digital scale just to have another scale. I need order one of those pocket scales myself.

Hornady just came out with their 3rd generation electronic scale and I worked up some loads. It definitely doesn't wander like the previous generation.

Not that I've ever had one but ShtrRdy's offer of the old Oahus made beam scale is probably a very good option. Waaaay better than the newer China imports sold under common brand names.

I have an old Lyman scale that i got second in 1974 that i'll never part with, but truth be known, I mostlyuse electronic scales. My Dillon scale should be replaced and I bought a Hornady scale for my condo that seems to be pretty good, especially for the price.

I used a Dillon electronic scale for several years. Then it began to throw inaccurate charges. I called Dillon, thinking they'd make it good or replace. They said their scales are not covered by their bullet-proof warranty.