New Savage 7mm-08 Rebuild

Love the cartridge, love the rifle and love the story. Good luck. Do yourself a favor a give the 162 elds a shot. You won't regret it.
Thanks, the story was quite a bit to deal with but its over now. Going in a while to do fun stuff.....SHOOT!
I have had good luck with 139gr hornady interbonds, IMR 4064 with 41.0 grains of powder. I weigh each bullet and charge as I get a variation of weights in the bullets per box for uniformity. I did find another accuracy band around 43 gr of powder if you can work up to it. Good caliber, have fun with it!
I want to to try and hit the highest accuracy node I can and will see how it acts above 42gr's. I have noticed the interbonds do vary a lot in weight, something I hadn't hit with the accubonds. Somebody asked about interbonds on deer, shot a 170# buck with one and DRT. Bullet expanded larger than accubonds IMHO.

The BVSS in the safe is in 7mag, about same story as you only with Shaw. So far its been nuthin but a pita, on the back burner as a Browning 708 has been keeping me busy.
So far the Browning likes the 160 spbt and 150eld and Staball powder. Have not found any 120bt for the classic H414 load that has workt so wellin a couple other 708s.

Last year, I dropped a mature northern whitetail in his tracks with the 139gr Hornady interbond BTSP 41gr/IMR 4064.
I've always considered the 130 class bullet to be one of the best for large whitetails. I've killed dozens with a 130 from the 270 win. I've killed many with 150-180s in 30 caliber rifles also but none have dropped in their tracks like the ones hit with the 130s. The bullet is almost always recovered just under the hide on the opposite shoulder. The animal takes the entire energy load of the bullet.

Well I hesitated to post this.......some I'm sure would have let this thread fade away quietly and just not finished the story. Guess I'm not one of them, went to the range ready to load tune my new barrel only to find to my utter disappointment that the barrel is no good :( Seems when they were doing the bore that the bit they used went off course and is off enough to cancel any further work on the project. I now have the most expensive tomato stake in this part of the country. It could always be worse and there are other barrels for sure. Need to start saving for a Criterion to finish things on hopefully a better and more accurate note. Thanks to all who posted and at some point the 7mm-08 will come to completion once more. In this game not everything goes as planned :confused: I post on my guns accuracy achievements so I also post on complete failures in accuracy and judgement. Good Shooting all

No they built it and shipped to me wrong from the start and when I complained about wrong thread shank size they told me to keep the barrel and made and sent another. My mistake was not realizing just what poor quality they were really capable of.

Well I hesitated to post this.......some I'm sure would have let this thread fade away quietly and just not finished the story. Guess I'm not one of them, went to the range ready to load tune my new barrel only to find to my utter disappointment that the barrel is no good :( Seems when they were doing the bore that the bit they used went off course and is off enough to cancel any further work on the project. I now have the most expensive tomato stake in this part of the country. It could always be worse and there are other barrels for sure. Need to start saving for a Criterion to finish things on hopefully a better and more accurate note. Thanks to all who posted and at some point the 7mm-08 will come to completion once more. In this game not everything goes as planned :confused: I post on my guns accuracy achievements so I also post on complete failures in accuracy and judgement. Good Shooting all
sorry about your crappy luck hopefully this will be the worse thing that happens to you this year better luck on the new barrel

Hopefully you can get the new barrell soon
Yes I'm on it hard, times aren't the best to raise money in but its happening!
sorry about your crappy luck hopefully this will be the worse thing that happens to you this year better luck on the new barrel
That quote made me laugh and thats what I need right now. I believe a criterion will make things all better.

Yes I'm on it hard, times aren't the best to raise money in but its happening!
That quote made me laugh and thats what I need right now. I believe a criterion will make things all better.

I am a believer than things happen for a reason, so it is what it is. This bad barrel was provably going to be a pain, drive you nuts and give you nightmares Lol.

A better barrel will come along in due time

I have had good luck with 139gr hornady interbonds, IMR 4064 with 41.0 grains of powder. I weigh each bullet and charge as I get a variation of weights in the bullets per box for uniformity. I did find another accuracy band around 43 gr of powder if you can work up to it. Good caliber, have fun with it!
I love the 139 interlocks, but for the life of me, I can't get them to shoot in my Bergara. Do t know if its the flat base thing, or what. I really would like it to shoot those, but it does live the noslers, in any weight so far.
My 308, and 6.5 will shoot them in a dot.🦌

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.