New Savage 7mm-08 Rebuild

Savage 12BVSS

Posting up a pic of the newest member of the family, built it originally as a coyote gun, then I realized that groundhogs were in short supply up here and coyotes weren't. It was a 22-250 that was fun to shoot, but already had one and wasn't heating up the barrel on a hog or coyote every now and then that I needed two 22-250's :) Had a new barrel that had been made by McGowen years back, gave them careful instructions when I ordered that I needed a small shank stainless with a throat to handle OAL out to 2.900. Well it arrived a large shank, bad day I guess. They sent me another barrel to replace it and told me to keep it, now I will say they were all right in my book for handling it that way, ya can't complain when its free. Well got the idea to have the smith I know breath some new life in it and make it 7mm-08 and make it usable to put it on in place of the 22-250 for a long range deer and coyote rifle.

You know sometimes you need to quit while you're ahead and not get bright idea's. Day 1....he rethreaded it for small shank and took out a nasty edged hump that was infrt of the barrel nut, recrowned it cause it had burs that would cut your finger if you run it around the opening (ask me how I know :( ) Went home and headspaced the barrel on the action and checked how far to the lands :eek: It was 3.080 to the lands and the neck of the cases were coming out with scratches in them. Day 2....he cut .200 off the back of the barrel and rechambered it with his reamer, looking at it he commented the reamer must have been shot that they used and he couldn't believe the throat length. Mumbled about a 260 reamer maybe with the throat done in a separate step. Wow this is getting sad and probably expensive...I'm afraid to ask. At this point I ask him if he's got any of his brakes in stock and would he thread the barrel while its off so I can try one. He's been making brakes for year's and everybody seems to love em so why not? Finally got home last night so this morning I headspaced it again and confirmed the exact OAL to lands 2.83, things aren't so bad today :). Put the barreled action in the stock and indexed the brake, it shoots like a 223! Guess I need more of them TWS Brakes and less McGowen barrels in the future. Will start load work Monday and hope its a shooter also got to work on the barrel finish all that lathe work took a toll.
Savage 7mm-08.JPG

Last edited:
Nosler AB's, and Innerbonds all in 140gr. Used to be able to get both style laminate's real reasonable. They work good if weight isn't an issue.

Yeah sorry I forget the hornady 1gr difference. Will start with IMR 4350 and 4064 as well as H4350 they all have worked well in other guns, RL16 and 17 are both on my try list also. Varget is the powder I've never had luck with in 308 size cases for some reason.

Will probably give some matchking's a try as well in bullets just to try and squeeze out tighter groups.

1gr difference no worries, I knew that you meant. I like 4064 for the 139gr and 140gr bullets, well my rifles do, and IMR-4350 with the 150gr Sierra Matchkings on my Silhouette rifle.

It sure will be fun working up all the loads.

One think I noticed on the hornady reloading book is that IMR-4064 is used with the heavier 154gr and 162gr bullets, it has a smaller charge than other powders and pretty much the same speed. From 4gr to 5gr less than IMR-4350, RL17 and others. Won't this give more room to be able to seat the bullet further in and not cause so much pressure, and be able to fit in the magazine?

This idea just got in my head from who knows where, am I way off here?

No they do push it for heavier bullets but it works well with 140's. Yes it will leave more room in the case for sure, 4350 tends to be right to compressed level with 140's. Thats why the chambering to max magazine length like he did on mine. 4064 is a very accurate powder in those capacity cases and generate good velocity, the most accurate powder I found in my 22-250 as well.

Yes it will be fun, starts tomorrow and hopefully it shoots one of my bullet and powder choices real small. Aim small shoot small :)

Last edited:
No they do push it for heavier bullets but it works well with 140's. Yes it will leave more room in the case for sure, 4350 tends to be right to compressed level with 140's. Thats why the chambering to max magazine length like he did on mine. 4064 is a very accurate powder in those capacity cases and generate's good velocity, the most accurate powder I found in my 22-250 as well.

Yes it will be fun, starts tomorrow and hopefully it shoots one of my bullet and powder choices real small. Aim small shoot small :)
I've heard that last line somewhere!🦌😀

Posting up a pic of the newest member of the family, built it originally as a coyote gun, then I realized that groundhogs were in short supply up here and coyotes weren't. It was a 22-250 that was fun to shoot, but already had one and wasn't heating up the barrel on a hog or coyote every now and then that I needed two 22-250's :) Had a new barrel that had been made by McGowen years back, gave them careful instructions when I ordered that I needed a small shank stainless with a throat to handle OAL out to 2.900. Well it arrived a large shank, bad day I guess. They sent me another barrel to replace it and told me to keep it, now I will say they were all right in my book for handling it that way, ya can't complain when its free. Well got the idea to have the smith I know breath some new life in it and make it 7mm-08 and make it usable to put it on in place of the 22-250 for a long range deer and coyote rifle.

You know sometimes you need to quit while you're ahead and not get bright idea's. Day 1....he rethreaded it for small shank and took out a nasty edged hump that was infrt of the barrel nut, recrowned it cause it had burs that would cut your finger if you run it around the opening (ask me how I know :( ) Went home and headspaced the barrel on the action and checked how far to the lands :eek: It was 3.080 to the lands and the neck of the cases were coming out with scratches in them. Day 2....he cut .200 off the back of the barrel and rechambered it with his reamer, looking at it he commented the reamer must have been shot that they used and he couldn't believe the throat length. Mumbled about a 260 reamer maybe with the throat done in a separate step. Wow this is getting sad and probably expensive...I'm afraid to ask. At this point I ask him if he's got any of his brakes in stock and would he thread the barrel while its off so I can try one. He's been making brakes for year's and everybody seems to love em so why not? Finally got home last night so this morning I headspaced it again and confirmed the exact OAL to lands 2.83, things aren't so bad today :). Put the barreled action in the stock and indexed the brake, it shoots like a 223! Guess I need more of them TWS Brakes and less McGowen barrels in the future. Will start load work Monday and hope its a shooter also got to work on the barrel finish all that lathe work took a toll.View attachment 188524
Love the cartridge, love the rifle and love the story. Good luck. Do yourself a favor a give the 162 elds a shot. You won't regret it.

I have had good luck with 139gr hornady interbonds, IMR 4064 with 41.0 grains of powder. I weigh each bullet and charge as I get a variation of weights in the bullets per box for uniformity. I did find another accuracy band around 43 gr of powder if you can work up to it. Good caliber, have fun with it!

I have had good luck with 139gr hornady interbonds, IMR 4064 with 41.0 grains of powder. I weigh each bullet and charge as I get a variation of weights in the bullets per box for uniformity. I did find another accuracy band around 43 gr of powder if you can work up to it. Good caliber, have fun with it!

That is my exact load but with the SST.

How has the Interbond worked for you on game if you dont mind me asking?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.