New Rifle Project

601handryan

So guys I am currently in rifle build mode again. I already have a custom .300 win mag that is my go to hunting rifle. So i dont need anything big. What I want is something that is fun to shoot steel long range but also if I decide to take it hunting i can with that also. I hunt in SW Mississippi and our deer arent that big maybe 200# max. Was thinking either 6xc or 243 ai. Would like to hear from someoe with experience with either of these rounds.gun)

well either one will use the same brass right? if thats the case then brass really wont matter other than resizing. i have shot the 6xc round before as far as 700yds. Petty impressive little round. I dont know other than what ive heard about the 243 ai so thats why i am asking here.

If you want a 6mm I would go with the 6-284 win.
3400fps with 107 smk's ,low recoil and great accuracy.
Do a search on this site....lots of posts on it.

I run a plain old .243 and love it. My problem is my factory barrel has a 1-9 1/8 twist so it won't stabilize 105s. I shoot 87gr V-MAXs in it and its a ton of fun. Really have to read the wind because that little slug gets pushed around a ton out there at longer ranges. If I can reliably read the wind and put accurate groups and hits down range with it, then shooting my new .300 will be much easier with my experience and knowledge I gained with the .243! It's a great rifle to practice with, easy to load for, accurate, low recoil, and just tons of fun. Also plays hell on ground hogs and birds haha!

The .260 or .260 AI is another great option as well. I plan on either rebarreling my .243 or building a .260 because I have recently discovered just how great this cartridge is! A 140gr A-MAX with a .585 BC or a 140gr Berger Hunting VLD with a BC of .612 is amazing. With the 140 you can easily get 2800fps with the standard .260 and 2900+ with the Ackley version. This combo outperforms the .243 and .308 with recoil just slightly more than a .243 but with more knock down than a .308 at long range! Just an all around great cartridge!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts