Rifle Project

What type of 416 Rigby do you have?

Hornaday has the custom dies for $119 if I remember right, you can find out more info on it by looking at the 10th edition of CoTW.

Like I said I'll be using mine next Sep in Africa, at last count 34 one shot kills over there
tongue.gif

It's a Ruger M77 in .416 Rigby. It's a stock rifle, no upgrades yet, and you know you can't be caught hunting with a stock rifle, it just can't be done.
grin.gif

Jim

Maybe you can't be caught with a stock rifle, BUT DON'T MESS WITH THAT RUGER!!!!!!!

Keep or sell it but please don't mess with it. I'm not a Ruger man by any chance. If you sell it you could buy a CZ 550 or just the action, a new barrel and stock besides there aren't that many smiths that will work on them.

Q-Optics
The Tembo sounds like it will work well on Cape. Hell the old 375 H&H is often looked at as light, but easy to shoot and place a good shot. I dont know much about the two guns in one. But if you are hunting Cape (my .2) I would wait until you return to think about the conversion. A DGR rifle in my opinion has one purpose and has to do three things, function! function! and function! I would trust the PH but not rely on him or her. I dont like seeing open sights through my low power scope. But if your PH lets you get up front on a wounded animal I would want to pull the scope and go open sights. If you go with a scope only I would use a fixed or low power that even on the high end you can make a Quick short shot. Although chances are he will not charge, I would hate to be trying to find him when the scope was left on a higher setting by accident he might not wait for you to get ready!
shocked.gif

A low end of 1.5x woud be nice, left on 1.5x if needed you can always power up.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.