New Rifle Project

khmplus

IMG_0852.jpeg
Hello all. I'm in the process of building my first rifle. These are the components:

Defiance anTi XM length action.

Bartlein #3 contour, 24" barrel, 1:8 twist, chambered in 6.5 PRC.

Cerakote to mimic bluing, nitrided bolt.

Barrelled action chambered, finished, and assembled by Alamo Precision Rifles.

Triggertech Special Trigger

Defiance XM BDL bottom metal

Custom home-machined titanium pillars

Limbsaver recoil pad

Leica PRS 5-30 x 56i riflescope

Talley lightweight alloy scope mounts

I plan to fabricate a Walnut stock from a blank I cut from a tree about 6 years ago. I will be using my shop-built router duplicator to copy a pattern stock I created by modifying a Remington 700 style short action by Richard's Microfit. I'll leave the checkering up to an expert.

I Still need bedding supplies, stock finish, and sling mounts.

I assume the critical steps will be inletting and bedding. I would welcome any comments or tips as I progress. Thanks!

That new piece of walnut has some beautiful grain! I'd love to see the finished product as well!

Can you mock everything up in your old stock so you have precise measurements for the new blank? Genuine question. I've never attempted anything like what you are trying.

Black walnut?? I've heard it is a real bear to checker compared to it's harder cousins...
Gets fuzzy. I'll get some photos of mine up here next few days for you.
I did same thing cut with my Dad. I have a few blocks left I may send one to be duplicated.

That new piece of walnut has some beautiful grain! I'd love to see the finished product as well!

Can you mock everything up in your old stock so you have precise measurements for the new blank? Genuine question. I've never attempted anything like what you are trying.
The pattern stock is very close, I fit all of the components, used bondo to add material where I needed it, then just spray painted it so I could see how it will look generally. I will leave a little bit of material for fine fitting for the action and trigger guard, then will have to remove extra material for barrel clearance and bedding. This is my first stock using my router duplicator, so I will take it slow.

The pattern stock is very close, I fit all of the components, used bondo to add material where I needed it, then just spray painted it so I could see how it will look generally. I will leave a little bit of material for fine fitting for the action and trigger guard, then will have to remove extra material for barrel clearance and bedding. This is my first stock using my router duplicator, so I will take it slow.
I want to see pics of the router duplicator. I have lots of wood working skills, about 5 routers already, and several black walnut logs, one with a crotch that might yield some fantastic pattern. Gearing up to mill it. What thickness is your blank? All my friends give opinions. Some want slab tables. Some want lumber. I just want the logs to be out of the forest and into my shed on stickers.

I typically cut gunstock blanks 2-1/2" thick. A finished Monte Carlo type stock can be about 2-1/4" thick. I'll get some pics of the duplicator up soon. Black walnut is beautiful wood, nice that you have a supply!

That is a pretty piece of walnut, nice figure. For the finish on the stock I would recommend using a penetrating epoxy to seal it it'll help protect it and harden it up a little bit more. And then figure out if you want a flat satin or a semi-gloss or gloss finish on it and go from there.

Boiled linseed oil penetrates nicely and really brings out the character as well as hardening and sealing the wood grain. I finished my '03 with linseed oil and 600 grit sand paper. It brought out the stamp marks inside the stock as well. Took several coats and a few extra for good measure. I too would like to see the duplicator.

Don't cut the stock to close or over cut it. Brownell has tools to remove wood in the barrel area and you'll need files, and some wood chisels to do some cutting with. Black oil artist paint in a tube. Some engine oil to mix with the paint. A small brush to brush the mix on the barrel and action. Set the action into the stock and see where the black marks shows up. remove that material a little at a time. It will take sometime to get it done. You'll need to do that with the trigger housing also. The oil and paint marks where the action and barrel are hitting. I have built several stocks for my rifles over the years, being lefthand. Make sure you action going in correctly and not off center or titled.
Bottom line is I find it a lot easier to get a prefitted stock somewhere else. Then bed it.
if you know somebody else that Checker stocks. Talk to him or her first. I hope that will help. I was lucky I had somebody to show me how to do it. Being a carpenter help too.