New rifle or not

Why would you choose those 2? You already have a big .30 caliber, you don't need a .338.

And also, why would you want a barrel-burner like a .26 Nosler? They get like 350-500 rounds of accurate barrel life? That's almost $1.00 per shot when you break down the the cost of the blank...
Which will last a hunter a lifetime.

It's not a caliber anyone however is going to shoot a lot unless they buy barrels in bulk and have a gunsmith on retainer.

Think about it. Ten rounds a year to sight in/check site for three or four hunts 10 shots at live critters a year. Never shoot it hot. 20 years at 20rds year is more than enough for a guy my age to have the gun outlast his hunting career.

Besides, sometimes you just want a hotrod and don't care! gun)

Which will last a hunter a lifetime.

It's not a caliber anyone however is going to shoot a lot unless they buy barrels in bulk and have a gunsmith on retainer.

Think about it. Ten rounds a year to sight in/check site for three or four hunts 10 shots at live critters a year. Never shoot it hot. 20 years at 20rds year is more than enough for a guy my age to have the gun outlast his hunting career.

Besides, sometimes you just want a hotrod and don't care! gun)
Oh come on now Rose.....You know good and well that nobody on here shoots 10 rounds a year through any of their guns... Maybe 100 at minimum. :D

I haven't even been to the range since summer started, and I've put well over 100 in each of my rifles just fire-forming brass for my Ackleys. LOL

If he wants a reasonable hotrod, just get a .264 WinMag and get atleast twice the barrel life of the .26 Nosler. Just my thoughts.

But if he wants that, go for it. More power to him. But I was mostly just curious as to why he wanted something like that.

I was thinking the 26 nosler because I dont shoot alot but I really would like a unique hot rod caliber in a nice custom rifle. I am planning on putting a huskemaw on my 300rum if I can before we go. I have a bushnell elite now that works great but I like the custom turrets on the huskemaw. Again thanks for the input on the rifles and as always I appreciate the wealth of knowledge.

Oh come on now Rose.....You know good and well that nobody on here shoots 10 rounds a year through any of their guns... Maybe 100 at minimum. :D

I haven't even been to the range since summer started, and I've put well over 100 in each of my rifles just fire-forming brass for my Ackleys. LOL

If he wants a reasonable hotrod, just get a .264 WinMag and get atleast twice the barrel life of the .26 Nosler. Just my thoughts.

But if he wants that, go for it. More power to him. But I was mostly just curious as to why he wanted something like that.
One of the reasons I own multiple rifles in my favorite calibers is the simple fact I don't want to burn any of them up.

I've got rifles I can shoot as much as I want for fun that there's no worries about shooting them out so I can save the hotrods for serious work vs just having fun. I think you'll find I'm far from alone in that even in this crowd.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.