Free float or not (b s a Rifle)

D*N*R*

I just inherited a bsa 243 wood stock not much on the net about them. Someone did say dont float them but cant see a disadvantage. I put on new glass and only want to sight it in once. Any one been there?

I just inherited a bsa 243 wood stock not much on the net about them. Someone did say dont float them but cant see a disadvantage. I put on new glass and only want to sight it in once. Any one been there?
Most guns will shoot better free floated. Some will shoot very well without it.

I routinely float and bed all of mine.

Allways test fire a rifle first. If it shoots leave it alone.

If it does not shoot to your expectations then bed and float it. you can allways add tip
pressure afterwards.

For the most part if a rifle has a light barrel and stock, they normally shoot there best
with a little tip pressure for the first few shots. But after 2 or 3 shots it starts to move
around and 5 shot groups are not good.

J E CUSTOM

I want to sight it in for 150yards cant do it around my area. I took a swing at it with a glass bed job but stopped before floating per what i read. Normally i would always shoot it first to see any improvement with my bedding. I just read on line these gun dont like floating.

I want to sight it in for 150yards cant do it around my area. I took a swing at it with a glass bed job but stopped before floating per what i read. Normally i would always shoot it first to see any improvement with my bedding. I just read on line these gun dont like floating.
Go shoot it and see. JE is right light sporter barrels often will not shoot as well after floating.

Keep it to three round groups max and let it cool down well between them.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.